1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Points & their Nature of a Multivariable Function

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x,y) = xy(9x^2 + 3y^2 -16)

Find the critical points of the function and their nature (local maximum, local minimum or saddle)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have partially differentiated the equation into:

fx = 27yx^2* + 3y^3 -16y
    fy = 9x^3 + 9xy^2 - 16x

How do I go on from there though?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hey there, welcome to the forum.

So, recall that a critical point of a function f(x) occurs when the derivative f'(x) = 0.

Now translating that to the multivariate case is not very different. Set fx = 0 and fy = 0 and then solve for your critical points.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You solve the equations
    27*y*x^2 + 3*y^3 - 16*y = 0
    9*x^3 + 9*x*y^2 - 16*x = 0.
    The first one says either y = 0 or 27*x^2 + 3*y^2 - 16 = 0, and this last one is the equation of an ellipse in (x,y) space. The second one says either x = 0 or 9*x^2 + 9*y^2 -16 = 0. What kind of geometric figure does that describe in (x,y)-space?

RGV

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    Thanks alot for the welcome and the help. Greatly appreciated.
    Just a question:
    For both the equations:
    fx = 27*y*x^2 + 3*y^3 -16*y = 0
    and
    fy = 9*x^3 + 9*x*y^2 - 16*x = 0

Am I supposed to solve both equations simultaneously to find the stationary points?

I tried using a calculator to solve both equations simultaneously and I've gotten 9 stationary points.

Am I on the right track?

6. Oct 18, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ill give you a hint, use elimination to solve both. Solve for y in the first equation to get y=0 and y = ± something else.

7. Oct 18, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Answer to both questions is yes. The geometric representation I suggested before shows why there are 9 solution points.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook