1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Product of a Constant Vector

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    Okay, now that my question has been cleared up, what is the cross product of a constant vector and a vector? Is there a formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    To cross two vectors you can simply take the determinate of the matrix they make. As far as I know this method works for all constant and variable vectors which have a determinate that exist.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Feb 2, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "the cross product of a constant vector and a vector"? The cross product is a product of two vectors. Whether "constant" or "variable" has nothing to do with the product.

And what question are you referring to with "now that my question has been cleared up"? This is exactly the question you asked in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=668424. If you did not understand the answers there, explain what you do not understand. Do not just start a new thread for exactly the same question!

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4
    Sorry if I have made SOME people upset. I wasn't really thinking about the math. Nevermind about this problem. A constant vector could be just like any other vector. I somehow confused the cross product with the curl of a vector. Sorry about my confusion everyone. Once again, I am sorry for making anyone upset and frustrated. Just some confusion HallsofIvy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook