Difference between scalar and cross product

In summary: It can be helpful in some cases, but it is also possible to make mistakes if the calculation is not done correctly.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am interested to understand how to tell when to use the scalar or cross product when solving physics problems.
Relevant Equations
Instantaneous angular momentum = cross product of the instantaneous position vector and instantaneous momentum
Hi!

For example, how do you tell whether to use the scalar or cross product for an problem such as,
1669785436146.png

However, I do know that instantaneous angular momentum = cross product of the instantaneous position vector and instantaneous momentum. However, what about if I didn't know whether I'm meant to take the cross product or scalar product of the quanties given. For example, for this work problem,
1669785598405.png

How would I tell whether to use the scalar or dot product just by looking at the work equation,
1669785624702.png

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
How would I tell whether to use the scalar or dot product just by looking at the work equation,
View attachment 317934
The equation you posted shows ##\cdot##, the dot (or 'scalar') product operator. If it were the cross (or 'vector') product it would show ##\times## as the operator.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Orodruin
Callumnc1 said:
1669785624702-png.png
The work equation is defined using the dot product, just as angular momentum is defined with a cross product.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you haruspex and Orodruin for your answers!

Given two 3D vectors, ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}##, in component form, and you were asked to find the angle between them, you could use either the dot product or the cross product. First you find the magnitudes, ##A## and ##B##, using the Pythagorean theorem in 3D. Then,
$$\cos\theta=\frac{\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B}}{AB}\implies \theta=\arccos\left[\frac{\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B}}{AB}\right].$$ Note that if the dot product is negative, the angle is greater than 90°, because ##\cos(\pi-\theta)=-\cos\theta.##

You could also use, $$\sin\theta=\frac{\|\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}\|}{AB}\implies \theta=\arcsin\left[\frac{\|\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}\|}{AB}\right].$$ However, I do not recommend this method for two reasons: (a) an additional calculation is needed to find the magnitude of the cross product vector ##\|\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}\|##; (b) one has to draw the vectors tail-to-tail to figure out whether the angle is less or greater than 90° because ##\sin(\pi-\theta)=+\sin\theta##. More work means increased likelihood for mistakes.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Given two 3D vectors, ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}##, in component form, and you were asked to find the angle between them, you could use either the dot product or the cross product. First you find the magnitudes, ##A## and ##B##, using the Pythagorean theorem in 3D. Then,
$$\cos\theta=\frac{\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B}}{AB}\implies \theta=\arccos\left[\frac{\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B}}{AB}\right].$$ Note that if the dot product is negative, the angle is greater than 90°, because ##\cos(\pi-\theta)=-\cos\theta.##

You could also use, $$\sin\theta=\frac{\|\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}\|}{AB}\implies \theta=\arcsin\left[\frac{\|\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}\|}{AB}\right].$$ However, I do not recommend this method for two reasons: (a) an additional calculation is needed to find the magnitude of the cross product vector ##\|\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}\|##; (b) one has to draw the vectors tail-to-tail to figure out whether the angle is less or greater than 90° because ##\sin(\pi-\theta)=+\sin\theta##. More work means increased likelihood for mistakes.
Thank you kuruman for your answer! It is Interesting to know how to find the angle between vectors using the cross and scalar product.

Likes kuruman

1. What is the difference between a scalar and a cross product?

A scalar product is a mathematical operation that results in a single scalar value, while a cross product results in a vector value.

2. How are scalar and cross products calculated?

A scalar product is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. A cross product is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

3. What are some real-life applications of scalar and cross products?

Scalar products are used in physics to calculate work, energy, and power. Cross products are used in physics and engineering to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and fluid dynamics.

4. Can scalar and cross products be applied to more than two vectors?

Yes, scalar and cross products can be applied to any number of vectors. For scalar products, the vectors must be in the same direction, while for cross products, the vectors must be in the same plane.

5. How are scalar and cross products related to each other?

Scalar and cross products are related through the vector triple product, where the cross product of two vectors is multiplied by a third vector to result in a scalar product. Additionally, the magnitude of a cross product can be calculated using the sine of the angle between two vectors and the magnitude of their scalar product.