Extracting thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know of a tool that can extract thermal neutron cross-section data from endf for all availible isotopes? I'm trying to help my professor compile some data to modernize one of his courses. I'm trying to find a list of capture and scattering cross-sections for a wide list of isotopes. I've found the databases online (here and here) but short of manually looking up every isotope and recording the cross-sections I don't see a way to extract the data.

Anyone have any ideas? Doing it manually seems like it would likely result in mistakes.

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know of a tool that can extract thermal neutron cross-section data from endf for all availible isotopes? I'm trying to help my professor compile some data to modernize one of his courses. I'm trying to find a list of capture and scattering cross-sections for a wide list of isotopes. I've found the databases online (here and here) but short of manually looking up every isotope and recording the cross-sections I don't see a way to extract the data.

Anyone have any ideas? Doing it manually seems like it would likely result in mistakes.
Many years ago I was head of a group which developed codes for neutron transport. As part of the program we developed codes which extracted cross-sections from ENDF/B tapes and massaged them for our codes. I believe the codes eventually ended up in the archive of one of the National Labs (Brookhaven ?). Try contacting them.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thanks Astronuc! That is exactly the sort of program I was looking for. I knew there had to be one out there.