1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cumulative distribution function

1. Jul 14, 2006 #1
    Once again, i'm having a disagreement with my TA regarding a problem set he gave us.

Here is the exact question, as written:
    Find the distribution function associated with the following density functions:
    a) [tex] f(x) = 3(1-x^2) [/tex] , x an element of (0,1)
    b)[tex] g(x) = x^{-2} [/tex], x an element of positive real numbers

here's where my problem lies.
    For a)
    if you solve for the cdf, you get:
    [tex] F(x) = \int_{0}^{x} 3(1-t^2) dt = [3t - t^3]_{0}^{x} = 3x - x^3 [/tex] for x element (0,1)

however, this value of F(x) takes the value of 2 when x = 1, which violates the property of a cdf! Also, if you take the integral of the density from 0 to 1, you will get 2! again a violation of the property of a density function, as the integral should be between 0 and 1.

for b)
    if you solve for the cdf, you get
    [tex] F(x) = \int_{0}^{x} t^{-2} dt = [-t^{-1}]_{0}^{x} = - 1/x + \infty [/tex] for x element positive real

which again is greater than 1 for any value of x, positive real.

and if you get the integral of the density function from 0 to infinity (as the density function is defined for all positive real), you get infinity! which is not between 0 and 1.

the TA, however said that there is NOTHING wrong with the questions, even after he inspected it.

Am I insane to think that the questions are wrong? or am I not seeing something obvious?

help please. I'm going crazy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2
    anyone have an idea? thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?