1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious about a couple of grad schools

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hi!

I've been searching the web trying to find out the average GPA's of undergraduates in physics
    who were accepted to Princeton, Caltech, Chicago, MIT, Cornell, etc... with no luck. Could someone enlighten me as to the approximate tiers of difficulty and the corresponding ~GPA's?

On another note, would a GPA around a 3.8 while taking graduate classes and with several publications make it worth applying to some of these top schools? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
  4. Apr 26, 2012 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

In short, yes. Browse the physicsgre.com forum about this application year, you'll see a hodge-podge of people who got into these top tier schools. It's not so easy to make a clear criterion (because one does not exist). But a 3.8 GPA with strong research, good recommendation letters, and a strong pgre should certainly make you competitive.

Just on a more anecdotal note, I'm somewhere on that list that was posted and I managed to get into many top-tier programs even though I thought it would be a longshot. It doesn't hurt to apply, assuming you can afford the ~$80 application fees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook