Curl H outside a long, thin wire of constant current

In summary, according to Maxwell's equation and H. H. Skilling's EM textbook, in the absence of current density, curl H is equal to zero. However, when considering a long, thin wire carrying a time-invariant current I, Ampere's law shows that at a point outside the wire, H is equal to I/2πx j. This leads to a paradox as the computed curl H is not equal to zero. However, when working in cylindrical coordinates, the x component of H must be taken into account, resulting in a non-zero value for curl H. This resolves the paradox and confirms the validity of the equations.
rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Per Maxwell's equation and my H. H. Skilling EM textbook, curl H = 0 in the absence of current density.

But consider a long, thin wire along the z axis carrying time-invariant current I. By Ampere's law, at a point (x,0) outside the wire, H = I/2πx j . But curl H computed by Cramer's rule from the curl determinant is not zero.

2. Relevant equations

curl H = J + ∂D /∂t
2πxH = I

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I is time-invariant there is no time-varying electric field so ∂D/∂t = 0.

Since H = H j = I/2πx j at (x,0),
curl H = ∂H/∂x k - ∂H/∂z i
but for a long wire, ∂H/∂z = 0 so we wind up with
curl H = dH/dx k
= -I/2π x2 k ≠ 0.

So how is the paradox resolved, please? If you're familiar with the concept of little "paddle wheels" (Skilling uses) indicating curl, even there it seems curl H ≠ 0 outside the wire.

All glory and thanks to the resolver!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to work in Cartesian coordinates, then first work out the general expression for the components of H in terms of x and y. Since you are going to take derivatives, you don't want to let y = 0 until after taking the derivatives.

Attachments

• Skilling Wheel.jpg
    Skilling Wheel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Thanks, T. Will explore! I had a faint idea I shouldn't ignore the x component of H but never paid it enough attention.

I switched to cylindrical coordinates, and lo & behold ... :smile:

I won't bother with the cartesian but obviously am now a Believer! Thanks again, will get to sleep a bit faster now ...

Thank you for your inquiry. The apparent paradox can be resolved by considering the assumptions and limitations of Ampere's law and Maxwell's equations.

First, it is important to note that Ampere's law is a simplified version of Maxwell's equations that is valid only in certain situations. It assumes that the current is steady and that there are no time-varying electric fields. In the case of a long, thin wire carrying a constant current, this assumption holds true.

However, as you have correctly pointed out, there is a non-zero curl of H outside the wire. This is because Ampere's law does not take into account the displacement current, which is the time-varying electric field produced by a changing magnetic field. In the case of a long, thin wire, the displacement current is negligible compared to the conduction current, but it is still present and contributes to the curl of H.

In general, Maxwell's equations provide a more complete and accurate description of electromagnetic phenomena, but they can be more complex to solve. In certain situations, such as the one described in your question, Ampere's law can be a useful approximation, but it is important to remember its limitations.

I hope this explanation helps to resolve the paradox. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you for your interest in electromagnetic theory.

1. What is "Curl H" and how is it related to a long, thin wire of constant current?

"Curl H" refers to the curl of the magnetic field intensity, H, around a long, thin wire of constant current. This quantity measures the circulation of the magnetic field around the wire, and is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire.

2. How is the direction of "Curl H" determined in relation to the wire?

The direction of "Curl H" is determined by the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the current flow and the thumb points in the direction of "Curl H". This means that the direction of "Curl H" is always perpendicular to the direction of the current flow and the wire.

3. What is the mathematical expression for "Curl H" outside a long, thin wire of constant current?

The mathematical expression for "Curl H" outside a long, thin wire of constant current is given by the equation Curl H = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

4. How does "Curl H" change as the distance from the wire increases?

As the distance from the wire increases, the strength of "Curl H" decreases. This is due to the inverse square relationship between the magnetic field and distance, meaning that the magnetic field intensity decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

5. Can the value of "Curl H" be negative outside a long, thin wire of constant current?

No, the value of "Curl H" cannot be negative outside a long, thin wire of constant current. This is because the right-hand rule dictates that the direction of "Curl H" is always perpendicular to the direction of the current and the wire, and therefore cannot be negative.