1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl H outside a long, thin wire of constant current

1. May 12, 2013 #1

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Per Maxwell's equation and my H. H. Skilling EM textbook, curl H = 0 in the absence of current density.

But consider a long, thin wire along the z axis carrying time-invariant current I. By Ampere's law, at a point (x,0) outside the wire, H = I/2πx j . But curl H computed by Cramer's rule from the curl determinant is not zero.

2. Relevant equations

curl H = J + ∂D /∂t
    2πxH = I

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I is time-invariant there is no time-varying electric field so ∂D/∂t = 0.

Since H = H j = I/2πx j at (x,0),
    curl H = ∂H/∂x k - ∂H/∂z i
    but for a long wire, ∂H/∂z = 0 so we wind up with
    curl H = dH/dx k
    = -I/2π x2 k ≠ 0.

So how is the paradox resolved, please? If you're familiar with the concept of little "paddle wheels" (Skilling uses) indicating curl, even there it seems curl H ≠ 0 outside the wire.

All glory and thanks to the resolver!

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want to work in Cartesian coordinates, then first work out the general expression for the components of H in terms of x and y. Since you are going to take derivatives, you don't want to let y = 0 until after taking the derivatives.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. May 12, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks, T. Will explore! I had a faint idea I shouldn't ignore the x component of H but never paid it enough attention.

5. May 12, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I switched to cylindrical coordinates, and lo & behold ... :smile:

I won't bother with the cartesian but obviously am now a Believer! Thanks again, will get to sleep a bit faster now ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted