Current carrying wire and Earth’s magnetic field directions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Qaztgbe
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A telephone cable at a place has 4 long straight horizontal wires carrying a current of 1 ampere in the same direction east to west. The Earth's magnetic field at the place is .39G, the angle of dip is 35°, and the magnetic declination is nearly zero. What are the resultant magnetic fields (magnitude and direction) at points 4cm below the cable?


Homework Equations


μI/2∏r


The Attempt at a Solution


Magnitude of the field due to the current carrying wires is 2x10-5T
Components of the earth’s magnetic fields –
Along the horizontal is BHcos35° = 3.19x10-5T
Along the vertical is BVsin35° = 2.24x10-5T

According to the right hand rule the magnetic field above the wires should be going into the plane and below should be coming out. I can’t ‘visualise’ the directions of the Earth's magnetic field so I can’t go any further.


I have numerous questions like this one but I can never see the direction of the earth’s field when it has different angles of dip.
 

Attachments

  • 2.bmp
    2.bmp
    186.4 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely helped. If only I could 'see' it for myself everytime I get one of these questions. Thanks.