1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current carrying wire and Earth’s magnetic field directions

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A telephone cable at a place has 4 long straight horizontal wires carrying a current of 1 ampere in the same direction east to west. The earth's magnetic field at the place is .39G, the angle of dip is 35°, and the magnetic declination is nearly zero. What are the resultant magnetic fields (magnitude and direction) at points 4cm below the cable?

2. Relevant equations
    μI/2∏r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Magnitude of the field due to the current carrying wires is 2x10-5T
    Components of the earth’s magnetic fields –
    Along the horizontal is BHcos35° = 3.19x10-5T
    Along the vertical is BVsin35° = 2.24x10-5T

According to the right hand rule the magnetic field above the wires should be going into the plane and below should be coming out. I can’t ‘visualise’ the directions of the Earth's magnetic field so I can’t go any further.

I have numerous questions like this one but I can never see the direction of the earth’s field when it has different angles of dip.

Attached Files:

• 2.bmp
      2.bmp
      File size:
      186.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    This diagram may help you.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Definitely helped. If only I could 'see' it for myself everytime I get one of these questions. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook