1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density of rotating spherical shell

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    Express the current density of a spherical shell of radius a, rotating with angular velocity omega, with surface charge density sigma

Delta function will be denoted d(x). Spherical coordinates will be used

I have concluded that for a given chunk (if we restrict to the 0<theta<pi/2 domain), the velocity will be given by v=a*Sin(theta)*(omega). It is clear that the current density will only have a phi component. I have concluded:

J_phi = (sigma)*a*Sin(theta)*(omega)*d(r'-a)

Where the delta function is used to restrict the current density to the sphere's surface.

Can anyone confirm that this reasoning is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks good, except I see no reason for you to restrict theta to [itex]0<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]....what is wrong with your expression for the lower half of the sphere?

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    you're right, as I was writing it I thought I was using cosine and it would introduce a sign error. Whole shell it is!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?