1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current division in a series-parallel circuit

1. May 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the current through each circuit element
    2. Relevant equations
    V = IR (Ohm's Law),

3. The attempt at a solution
    I1 is .06A after plugging 6V and 100 ohms into V = IR, but I can't figure out the rest, because I don't know how the current splits. The left path obviously has less resistance, so more current will flow through it, but I don't know how to calculate how the .06A will split because of that. Since that 50 ohm wire connects the 2 paths i don't know how it affects the total resistances of each.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ketchup, :welcome:

It's a little more complicated than you make it out: 6V/100##\Omega## isn't right, because that would mean 6 V over 100##\Omega## and zero V over the rest of the circuit -- so zero current ##\Rightarrow## contradiction !

You know about Kirchoffs laws ? This exercise assumes you do -- or else that you discover one of them !

4. May 15, 2017 #3

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted