Current produced by a single charge moving in a circlular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field produced by an electron in Niels Bohr's model of the hydrogen atom. The solution is provided using relevant equations, but there are some misunderstandings about the calculation of current and the application of the formula for a long straight wire. The conversation concludes with the clarification that the current is due to the charge of one electron moving in a circular loop, and the time taken for the charge to complete a full orbit must be considered in the equation.
Benkyou

Homework Statement

In Niels Bohr's 1913 model of the hydrogen atom an electron circles the proton at a distance "R" with a speed "v". Compute the magnitude of the magnetic field that this motion produces at the location of the proton.

Homework Equations

Bio Savart

B = mu*I / 2R = mu * q * (v/2piR) / 2R

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is stated above in the relevant equations section.

There are some misunderstandings I have as to how they arrived at the equation for the current.

First the magnetic field given by an infinite wire should be mu*I/2*pi* r but is shown as it is above without the pi in the denominator. Further, I thought that the moving charge should have a current that is equivalent to its velocity, charge, and cross sectional area ( I = nqvA ), but that is not what is correct. I feel as if I'm missing the big pink elephant in the room that is related to the period of the of charge or something. Can someone give me some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry the magnetic field in the center of a current loop is B = mu*I / 2*R. I guess I don't understand how the current is being calculated.

Current is given by
I = Q/t
So current is due to the charge of one electron, moving in a circular loop.
To get t in the equation, how much time does it take the charge to make a complete orbit around the loop?

p.s. also, note the formula for a long straight wire does not apply here, since the current is in the form of a circular loop.

Redbelly98 said:
Current is given by
I = Q/t
So current is due to the charge of one electron, moving in a circular loop.
To get t in the equation, how much time does it take the charge to make a complete orbit around the loop?

p.s. also, note the formula for a long straight wire does not apply here, since the current is in the form of a circular loop.

Geez I don't know why I couldn't figure it out. That makes so much sense and its so simple. I think I just need to go over the material a lot more and try to understand the concepts better. Thanks a lot I appreciate the help.

1. What is the direction of the current produced by a single charge moving in a circular motion?

The current produced by a single charge moving in a circular motion is in the direction perpendicular to the plane of the circular motion.

2. How is the strength of the current affected by the speed of the charge in circular motion?

The strength of the current is directly proportional to the speed of the charge in circular motion. As the speed increases, the current also increases.

3. Does the radius of the circular path affect the current produced by a single charge?

Yes, the radius of the circular path does affect the current produced by a single charge. The smaller the radius, the greater the current, and vice versa.

4. How does the number of charges moving in circular motion affect the current produced?

The current produced by multiple charges moving in a circular motion is the sum of the individual currents produced by each charge. Therefore, the more charges there are, the greater the total current.

5. Is the current produced by a single charge in circular motion constant?

No, the current produced by a single charge in circular motion is not constant. It varies as the charge moves along its circular path, with its maximum value occurring when the charge is moving perpendicular to the direction of current flow.