1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current through inductor as function of time

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The L=100 mH inductor in the following figure has an initial current of Io=10 mA. If the voltage is, v(t)=1e−10t+2e−5t V, what is the current, i(t), through the inductor?

Express your answer as a function of time with units of mA.

The figure shows an independent voltage source connected to an inductor.

inductor.PNG

2. Relevant equations

v = L(di/dt)
    i dt = (v dt)/L
    [itex]i = \int_{t_0}^{t} v dt + i_0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the following equation:

[itex]i(t) = \frac{1}{0.1 H}(\int_{t_0}^{t} (e^{-10T}+2e^{-5T}) dT)*\frac{10^3 mA}{1 A} + 10 mA[/itex]

and obtained the following:

[itex]i(t) = (e^{-0.1} + 4e^{-0.05} - e^{-10t} - e^{-5t})*10^3 + 10 mA[/itex]

My homework software rejects this answer, saying that my "answer either contains an incorrect additive numerical constant or is missing one."

I can think of nothing that I might have omitted, and I know that this software is very picky. For example, when rounding, it rejects the "round 5 to even" rule that was instilled in me early on as completely incorrect, always expecting 5 to be rounded up even when followed only by zeroes. Given how picky the software is, I am not altogether convinced that my answer is actually wrong.

Does anyone see any obvious oversights in my work?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for t0, and why are you not simply using an indefinite integral, then applying the initial condition?

4. Mar 1, 2014 #3
    That's a very good question, and tells me that I need to get some sleep. Somehow, my [itex]t_0[/itex] ended up being 0.01 (that is, [itex]i_0[/itex]). What nonsense!

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted