• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Current Through Resistor in Rectangular Loop

Here is the problem and the equations I feel are relevant. The instructor was not clear on whether or not R2 was moving with velocity v, but I assume so because something must be moving (I think). Can somebody give me some instruction on where to go from what I have?

[PLAIN]http://people.tamu.edu/~malindenmoyer/tamu/~s2010/phys208/lab/lab04/phys208_problem.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

ehild
Homework Helper
R1 is moving with speed v to the right. So the enclosed area increases by the rate dA/dt=l*v. The magnetic field depends on the distance from the upper wire, so you have to integrate to get the flux.

ehild

Thanks for the reply, that is what I did and here is the solution I got:

[tex]d\phi =BdA=\frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi r}ldr[/tex]

[tex]\phi =\frac{\mu_0 il}{2\pi}\int_a^b \frac{dr}{r}=\frac{\mu_0 il}{2\pi}\log{\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\frac{dl}{dt}\cdot \frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi}\ln{\frac{b}{a}}\rightarrow \frac{dl}{dt}=v[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\frac{\mu_0 iv}{2\pi}\ln{\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\xi =iR_{eq}=i(R_1+R_2)=\frac{\mu_0 iv}{2\pi}\ln{\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

[tex]R_2=\frac{\mu_0 v}{2\pi}\ln{\frac{b}{a}}-R_1[/tex]

Does this look correct?

ehild
Homework Helper
It is not quite correct. The current in the loop is not the same as the current in the upper wire. In the figure, the horizontal side of the rectangle should be l as I show in your figure.

What is the question in the problem?

ehild

Attachments

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear, but R2 is sliding with velocity V to the right. l is the length of the sliding rod. The problem was: calculate the current in R2.

ehild
Homework Helper
I see. Then your formula for the flux is wrong. dA is not ldr, as they are parallel. If R2 moves to the righ nothing happens with the length of the rod, so dl/dt =0

ehild