Current through resistor, with heat. What happens to the current?

• Thread starter rcmango
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Suppose a current of 1 A is flowing through a resistor. If this makes the resistor heat up, will the current through the resistor increase, decrease, or remain constant? Assume the voltage applied to the resistor is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me with this, i'm not sure, but I believe the current will decrease slightly because of the heat dissipated?

Answers and Replies

PeterO
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Suppose a current of 1 A is flowing through a resistor. If this makes the resistor heat up, will the current through the resistor increase, decrease, or remain constant? Assume the voltage applied to the resistor is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me with this, i'm not sure, but I believe the current will decrease slightly because of the heat dissipated?
The resistance of many electrical components changes with temperature. Certainly the resistance of a wire increases when it gets hotter, so if the resistor is actually made up of a length of wire you can expect that change in resistance - with an effect on the current I am sure you can predict.

Okay, so as the wire heats up the resistance of the wire increases, this causes the current to decrease. Is that correct?

PeterO
Homework Helper
Okay, so as the wire heats up the resistance of the wire increases, this causes the current to decrease. Is that correct?
That sounds good.

EDIT: provided the resistor is made using wire.

Last edited:
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The current decrease is NOT because of the heat dissipated. For an ideal resistor that does not change resistance even if it heats up, the current doesn't change.