1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Currently on a BS in Comp Engr. What should I minor in?

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Hi I currently doing Computer Engineering Hardware track (digital logic, microcontroller and signals concentration), I would like to know what to minor or double major in... I also do a lot of C++ programming and know a lot of UNIX/linux OS. But I feel the Comp Engr. degree is very broad and I shouldn't limit miself to the degree requirements. Therefore, I tried to do EE major but I wasn't allowed, a tried a Comp science minor, but wasn't allowed either... The onl thing I am allowed within math and science is minor in math (which is only 3 more courses), physics, chem, biol... However, recently I discovered the minor in CIS within the bussiness dept. They also cover programming but in the Visual Basic language, and business orieented classes, a lot of IT project management and systems analysis classes... Should I take the minor??? Even If I have to do another more semester? Or what other minor/majors should you recommend that might become an excellent mix with Comp engr?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
    <Insert standard rant about the uselessness of minors here.>

Are you interested in business programming? If so, take the courses, if not skip them. If you want to do that sort of work, taking a few courses could be useful.

EDIT: Oh, and unless you are passionately interested in entering that field, I wouldn't delay graduation to take these courses. Certainly not for the privilege of calling them a minor.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook