Currently taking graduate course as an Undergraduate

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate student taking graduate algebra at the University of Toronto and wondering about the importance of getting a high grade in order to be competitive for graduate school in Mathematics in Canada and USA. The speaker, who is a master's student at an average state university, believes that an A- or even a B would be considered acceptable for an undergraduate taking graduate courses. However, they acknowledge that their perspective may not apply to the schools the student is planning to apply to.
chhan92
I am currently taking graduate algebra as an undergraduate (junior) in University of Toronto, and I just took a midterm today. Since I am an undergraduate, the grade matters. In order to get a good chance to go into graduate schools for Mathematics in Canada and USA, is it must have to get a A or A+ in graduate courses as an undergraduate? Or, is A- alright? (or should I get at least an average grade on that course as an undergraduate competing with graduate students?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a whole lot about this, as I didn't have that sort of option at my undergrad school and I am a master's student at a rather average state university. But I would assume that an A- would certainly be fine, and most likely a B would be fine as well, since you are an undergrad taking grad-level coursework. I mean, we are only expected to keep up a B average as grads, and I think they expect less, not more, of the undergrads. But like I said, I am not, probably, at the sort of school you're planning on applying to.

What does it mean to take a graduate course as an undergraduate?

Taking a graduate course as an undergraduate means enrolling in a course that is typically meant for graduate level students. This can be done for various reasons, such as fulfilling prerequisite requirements, gaining advanced knowledge in a specific subject, or preparing for graduate school.

How do I know if I am eligible to take a graduate course as an undergraduate?

Eligibility requirements may vary depending on the university and the specific course. Generally, you should have a strong academic record and approval from your academic advisor or the course instructor. It is important to carefully review the course requirements and discuss your intentions with your advisor before enrolling.

What are the benefits of taking a graduate course as an undergraduate?

Taking a graduate course as an undergraduate can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in a specific subject, giving you a competitive edge in the job market or when applying to graduate school. It can also help you explore your interests and determine if pursuing a graduate degree is the right path for you.

What are the challenges of taking a graduate course as an undergraduate?

Some challenges of taking a graduate course as an undergraduate may include a heavier workload, higher expectations from the instructor, and being surrounded by more experienced students. It is important to be prepared for these challenges and to communicate with your instructor and peers for support if needed.

Can I receive credit for a graduate course taken as an undergraduate?

This varies depending on the university and the specific course. Some universities may allow you to transfer the course for credit towards a graduate degree, while others may only count it as elective credit. It is important to consult with your advisor and the graduate program you plan to apply to for their policies on accepting credits for graduate courses taken as an undergraduate.