1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature and Tangent Line Distance Relationship

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let T be the tangent line at the point P(x,y) to the graph of the curve ##x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=a^{\frac{2}{3}}, a>0##. Show that the radius of curvature at P is three times the distance from the origin to the tangent line T.

2. Relevant equations
    R=1/K
    ##R=\frac{\left ( 1+\left ( y' \right )^2 \right )^{2/3}}{y''}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having quite a lot of trouble figuring out where to begin this problem. I know that I need to find the curvature and radius of curvature of the given curve, but just find that is confusing to me.

To begin I used Wolfram Alpha to evaluate what the curvature and radius of curvature would be. I get the result that
    ##K=3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}\left ( x\cdot y \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}##
    ##R=\frac{1}{3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}\left ( x\cdot y \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

I'm not sure how this conclusion is made considering it is unclear to me how to actually differentiate the original equation to find K or R.

I know that the distance from the origin to the point P could be found by integrating the magnitude of the derivative of th original equation equation, but I am not sure how to integrate this way either.

I was thinking maybe I could give "a" an arbitrary value like 1 so that I might actually be able to differentiate it, yet I am not sure about it. Is there any differentiation technique that I should be looking specifically at to help me find the derivative of ##x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=a^{\frac{2}{3}}, a>0##?

Or am i going about this problem completely wrong and should think of curvature and the tangent line in a different sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2
    Does anyone have a hint? I have been working on this problem in between my breaks at school, and can't understand where to start.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx in your equation ##x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = a^{2/3}##.
    The distance from the origin to P(x, y) is ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##. This is a point on the graph whose equation is given, so I would look for using that equation to get the distance in terms of x alone.

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4
    When differentiating is it okay if I say that a^(2/3) will be a constant?

6. Sep 21, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes

7. Sep 22, 2015 #6
    For differentiating the first equation I get##-\frac{\sqrt[3]{y}}{\sqrt[3]{x}}##. And when I do the second derivative, and I end up with ##\left ( \frac{1}{3} \right )\sqrt[3]{\frac{y}{x^4}}##.

Using these values I get

##\frac{3\left ( \frac{x^\frac{2}{3}+y^{\frac{3}{2}}}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}} \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\left ( \frac{1}{3} \right )\sqrt[3]{\frac{y}{x^4}}}##

as the curvature, but I think that looks like it is going in the wrong direction still.

Considering that when I typed the original equation. I got the result that the curvature of the radius is

##3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}(xy)^{2/3}##

Is there anything that you can suggest I am making a mistake on?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted