Curve sketching derivative help

In summary, the derivative of f(x) is (2x)/(sqrt((x^2)+5), simplified to 10/((x^2+5)^3/2). There are no critical numbers for this derivative and the behavior of the slope of f(x) can be determined by sketching the derivative.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

I need to find the derivative of f(x) = (2x)/(sqrt((x^2)+5) and then simplify it in order to find the critical numbers of the derivative and find the intervals of increase and decrease of the function. (I am doing some curve sketching and keep getting lost!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I end up with a derivative like this:

((2)(x^2 +5)^(1/2) - (2x)(x)(x^2 + 5)^(-1/2)) / (sqrt(x^2 +5))^2

Now, I need to simplify the answer, so I factored out: 2(x^2 +5)^(-1/2) and got an answer that looks like this:

5/ (x^2 +5)(sqrt(x^2 +5))

So now I'm stuck! With this derivative, I'm trying to find the intervals of increase and decrease of the function, but I'm not sure how to find the critical numbers of this derivative.

I have a suspicion that I am not factoring out the exponents properly. Is that the case? If not, am i going wrong at all? How do I find the critical numbers of a derivative that looks like this?

Help!

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You missed a factor of 2,

[tex]f'(x) =\frac{ 10}{ (x^2 +5)(\sqrt{x^2 +5})} = \frac{ 10}{ (x^2 +5)^{3/2}}.[/tex]

Now the critical points of [tex]f(x)[/tex] are the points where [tex]f'(x)=0[/tex]. However in this case, there are no points where this occurs, though [tex]f'(x)\rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]x\rightarrow \pm \infty[/tex]. You should still be able to sketch [tex]f'(x)[/tex] to determine the behavior of the slope of [tex]f(x)[/tex].

1. How do I find the derivative of a curve?

The derivative of a curve can be found using the mathematical concept of differentiation. This involves finding the slope of the curve at a specific point, which is also known as the instantaneous rate of change. The derivative is represented by the symbol "dy/dx" and can be calculated using various methods such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

2. What is the purpose of curve sketching?

Curve sketching is a technique used to visually represent the behavior of a function. It helps to understand the characteristics of a curve, such as its increasing and decreasing intervals, local and global extrema, and concavity. This information is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and optimization problems.

3. How does the derivative relate to the slope of a curve?

The derivative of a curve at a specific point is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point. This means that the derivative gives us the rate of change of the curve at that point, or how steep the curve is at that point. A positive derivative indicates an increasing curve, while a negative derivative indicates a decreasing curve. A zero derivative indicates a horizontal tangent and a constant slope.

4. What are the key factors to consider when sketching a curve using its derivative?

When sketching a curve using its derivative, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the critical points, where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined, the intervals of increase and decrease, the concavity, and the points of inflection. It is also important to consider the behavior of the curve at the asymptotes, if any, and to check for symmetry.

5. How can I use the derivative to find the maximum and minimum values of a curve?

The maximum and minimum values of a curve can be found by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the critical points. These points represent the potential local extrema of the curve. To determine if they are maximum or minimum values, we can use the second derivative test, where the sign of the second derivative at a critical point indicates the concavity and therefore the type of extremum. The largest or smallest of the local extrema will also be the global extremum of the curve.