Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Curved space and curvilinear coordinates

1. Jun 11, 2016 #1
    hi, I really wonder what the difference between curvilinear coordinates in a Euclidean space and embedding a curved space into Euclidean space is ???? They resemble to each other for me, so Could you explain or spell out the difference???? Thanks in advance....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An embedding is usually of a lower-dimensional manifold. Curvilinear coordinates are used to describe the Euclidean space itself.

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3
    You can not introduce Euclidian local coordinates in a curved space

5. Jun 11, 2016 #4
    I think curvilinear coordinates generally define tangent space, but in curved space also defines normal component besides the tangent space. Am I right??? I saw some close definition like this. Is it true???

6. Jun 11, 2016 #5
    why do not you study the definition of the manifold first?

7. Jun 11, 2016 #6
    By definition the Euclidean coordinates are the local coordinates ##x^i## on a manifold such that ##\nabla_i\equiv \frac{\partial }{\partial x^i}##

8. Jun 11, 2016 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You have several threads hinting that you are reading a text which presents manifolds in general through their embedding into a higher dimensional Euclidean space. The general definition of a manifold and its tangent space does not require this. I suggest that you pick up a reference where manifolds are treated properly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted