Curved space and curvilinear coordinates

• I
  • Thread starter mertcan
  • Start date
hi, I really wonder what the difference between curvilinear coordinates in a Euclidean space and embedding a curved space into Euclidean space is ???? They resemble to each other for me, so Could you explain or spell out the difference???? Thanks in advance....

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
An embedding is usually of a lower-dimensional manifold. Curvilinear coordinates are used to describe the Euclidean space itself.

wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
You can not introduce Euclidian local coordinates in a curved space

I think curvilinear coordinates generally define tangent space, but in curved space also defines normal component besides the tangent space. Am I right??? I saw some close definition like this. Is it true???

wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
why do not you study the definition of the manifold first?

wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
By definition the Euclidean coordinates are the local coordinates ##x^i## on a manifold such that ##\nabla_i\equiv \frac{\partial }{\partial x^i}##

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think curvilinear coordinates generally define tangent space, but in curved space also defines normal component besides the tangent space. Am I right??? I saw some close definition like this. Is it true???
No. You have several threads hinting that you are reading a text which presents manifolds in general through their embedding into a higher dimensional Euclidean space. The general definition of a manifold and its tangent space does not require this. I suggest that you pick up a reference where manifolds are treated properly.