Curvilinear (n/t) motion (find magnitude of acceleration)

In summary, curvilinear motion is the motion of an object in a curved path, which can occur in any direction. Acceleration in curvilinear motion is calculated by finding the change in velocity over time, and it has two components: tangential and normal. The magnitude of acceleration in curvilinear motion can change depending on the curvature of the path and the speed of the object. Real-world examples of curvilinear motion include a car driving around a curve, a roller coaster moving along its track, and a ball being thrown in an arc. Essentially, any time an object moves in a curved path, it is exhibiting curvilinear motion.
smruthi92
pls see the attachment. so pretty much magnitude of acc would be root (at2 + an2). i figured out an by subbing it into v2/p. but i can't figure out how to calculate at!

id really appreciate the help, I've been at it for 3 hours now! thanks!

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
ok let me show my working:

normal acc = 0.009^2/0.066

tangential acc i tried this:

s=r theta
s = 0.066 times (66/180)*pie
s = 0.07603
v = d/t
t = d/v
t = 0.07603/0.009
t= 8.4477 seconds

therefore acc = v/t
acc = 0.09/8.4477

then i squared this and the normal acc, but its not the right answer

1. What is curvilinear motion?

Curvilinear motion is the motion of an object in a curved path. This can occur in any direction, such as a circular motion or a path that is not perfectly straight.

2. How is acceleration calculated in curvilinear motion?

In curvilinear motion, acceleration is calculated by finding the change in velocity over time. This is done by taking the derivative of the velocity vector with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between tangential and normal acceleration in curvilinear motion?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the direction of motion, while normal acceleration is the component that is perpendicular to the direction of motion. In curvilinear motion, these two components work together to determine the overall acceleration of the object.

4. How does the magnitude of acceleration change in curvilinear motion?

The magnitude of acceleration in curvilinear motion can change depending on the curvature of the path. As the path becomes more curved, the magnitude of acceleration will increase. Additionally, if the speed of the object changes, the magnitude of acceleration will also change.

5. What are some real-world examples of curvilinear motion?

Some examples of curvilinear motion include a car driving around a curve, a roller coaster moving along its track, and a ball being thrown in an arc. Essentially, any time an object moves in a curved path, it is exhibiting curvilinear motion.