Cutting, at the atomic/molecular level

• Thread starter Grantdh
  • Start date
I know there is supposedly no such thing as a stupid question but this might make some of you reconsider if that is true.

We assume that we can never actually touch something due to electron repulsion. How then is it possible for something to cut you?

I know this sounds a lot like Zeno's paradox, which was solved with calculous. So I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to reconcile this.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Why is this a "philosophical" question?

Zz.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
We assume that we can never actually touch something due to electron repulsion. How then is it possible for something to cut you?
The repulsive EM force between the electrons is what does the cutting.

Likes 1 person
Well I was thinking of it like Zeno's paradox which I assumed is a philosophical question but thinking about it now I realize a philosophical question, by definition, does not have an answer. So that must mean Zeno's paradox is no longer a philosophical question but a simple calculus question.

We assume that we can never actually touch something due to electron repulsion.
Who assumes that? To add to Drakkith's post, sufficient electric repulsion is touching.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Darkkith. That makes a lot of sense. So is it correct to say that an extremely sharp object, like a surgeons scalpel, simply allows for a more precisely applied EM force?

ModusPwnd I guess a more precise operational definition has to be made for touching. Like you said our day to day definition of touching is sufficient EM repulsion.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thank you Darkkith. That makes a lot of sense. So is it correct to say that an extremely sharp object, like a surgeons scalpel, simply allows for a more precisely applied EM force?
Yes, a sharp edge concentrates the applied force along a very thin line instead of spreading it out.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Yes, a sharp edge concentrates the applied force along a very thin line instead of spreading it out.
I guess the density of the force (electric field) imbalance where the sharp edge contacts the material must relate to what we would normally call 'pressure'. The effectiveness at cutting and penetration boils down to pressure - on a macroscopic scale.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Thread has been retitled, to conform to our requirement that thread title must be descriptive of the content.

Zz.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I guess the density of the force (electric field) imbalance where the sharp edge contacts the material must relate to what we would normally call 'pressure'. The effectiveness at cutting and penetration boils down to pressure - on a macroscopic scale.
I believe so since pressure is the applied force divided by the area it is applied to. P=F/A