Cyclic frequency of unknown weight

Then use the spring constant and the mass to calculate the frequency.In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the cyclic frequency of a weight suspended from a spring with an unknown force constant. The weight was initially suspended and stretched the spring to 14.2cm, and then pulled down to 16cm and released, causing an oscillation. The frequency was calculated using the formula T=2π√(m/k), where k is the spring constant calculated using the weight and the distance stretched. However, this calculation did not give the correct answer, and it was suggested to incorporate the 14.2cm information to calculate the spring constant and then use it to calculate the frequency.
AdnamaLeigh
When an unknown weight W was suspended from a spring with an unknown force constant k, it reached its equilibrium position and the spring was stretched 14.2cm because of the weight W. Then the weight W was pulled further down to a position 16cm (1.8cm below its equilibrium position) and released, which caused an oscillation in the spring. Calculate the cyclic frequency of the resulting motion. Answer in Hz.

I set k=F/x:
k=9.8m/.018 = 544.44m

I used T=2π√(m/k) to solve for the period:
T=2π√(m/544.44m) = .269s The mass canceled out

I did 1/T for frequency:
1/.269 = 3.714Hz

The answer is wrong. I think it might have something to do with the 14.2cm information but I don't know how to incorporate it in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the 14.2 cm to calculate the spring constant.

I would suggest taking a closer look at the given information and equations used to calculate the cyclic frequency. One potential issue could be the use of the incorrect value for the force constant, as it was calculated using the incorrect distance of 14.2cm instead of the actual distance of 1.8cm. Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the fact that the weight was pulled down to a position 1.8cm below its equilibrium position, which could potentially affect the frequency of the resulting motion.

One possible approach to solving this problem could be to first calculate the force constant using the correct distance of 1.8cm, and then using that value to calculate the period and frequency of the oscillation. Another approach could be to consider the change in potential energy of the weight when it is pulled down to the 1.8cm position and released, and how that may affect the resulting motion and frequency.

In general, when faced with a problem like this, it is important to carefully analyze all of the given information and consider any potential factors that may affect the outcome. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or references in the field to ensure accurate calculations and interpretations.

1. What is cyclic frequency of unknown weight?

Cyclic frequency of unknown weight refers to the number of times a weight or object completes one full cycle of movement in a given period of time.

2. How is cyclic frequency of unknown weight measured?

Cyclic frequency of unknown weight can be measured using various methods such as using a timer to count the number of cycles in a specific time period or using a sensor to measure the frequency of the weight's movement.

3. What factors can affect the cyclic frequency of unknown weight?

The cyclic frequency of unknown weight can be affected by factors such as the weight of the object, the force applied to the object, and the medium in which the object is moving (e.g. air, water).

4. Why is it important to know the cyclic frequency of unknown weight?

Knowing the cyclic frequency of unknown weight can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the object. It can also be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.

5. How can the cyclic frequency of unknown weight be used in practical applications?

The cyclic frequency of unknown weight can be used in practical applications such as designing structures to withstand certain frequencies of vibrations, determining the speed of moving objects, and analyzing the performance of athletes in sports.