1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder carrying volume and surface current, H field

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have an infinite cylinder that, from radius 0 to a, has a volume current density ##\vec{J(r)}=J_{0}(r/a) \hat{z}## , then from a to 2a, it has a material with uniform linear magnetic permeability ##\mu=(3/2)\mu_0##
    , and at the surface, it has surface current ##\vec{K}=-K_{0}\hat{z}##. I have to find i)the H and B fields everywhere, ii)the magnetization, and iii)the magnetizing volume and surface currents. However I just have a question on the first part of i)

2. Relevant equations
    Modified Ampére's Law ##\oint_C \vec{H} . \vec{dl}=I_{enc}##
    ##\vec{H}=\frac{\vec{B}}{\mu_0}-\vec{M}##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Current from 0 to r, with r<a: ##\int_{0}^{r} \int_{0}^{2\pi} J_{0}(r/a) r dθ dr = \frac{2\pi J_0 r^3}{3a}##
    Total current from 0 to a: ##\frac{2\pi J_0 a^2}{3}##
    H field, using Ampére's Law (cylindrical symmetry):
    r<a: ##H(2\pi r)=\frac{2\pi r^3}{3a} \rightarrow H=\frac{J_0 r^2}{3a}##

a<r<2a: ##H(2\pi r)=\frac{2\pi J_0 a^2}{3} \rightarrow H=\frac{J_0 a^2}{3r}##

My doubt is that my teacher just wrote the answers, and I got the same except the last one, where he wrote ##H=\frac {J_0 r^2}{3}##. Wouldn't that imply that the field is increasing with distance squared from the center, however without the radius enclosing anymore current? Where did I go wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It appears that your teacher made a mistake and wrote down an expression that is dimensionally incorrect. The dimensions of H, as seen in Ampere's law, are current per length. Your teacher's expression has units of just current.

4. Nov 15, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply, kuruman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted