Cylindrical shells to find volume of a torus

In summary, the homework statement is that you are to find the volume of a torus with radii r and R. The attempt at a solution is to find V=AC, where A is the area of the crossection circle and C is the circumference at the center.
robertmatthew

Homework Statement

Use cylindrical shells to find the volume of a torus with radii r and R.
9jZwhrS.png

Homework Equations

V= ∫[a,b] 2πxf(x)dx
y= sqrt(r2 - (x-R)2)

The Attempt at a Solution

V= ∫ [R, R+r] 2πx sqrt(r2 - x2 - 2xR + R2) dx

I feel like this isn't going in the right direction, though. I found a different post about the same question, but that person was using disks, and the volume was 2π2r2R, and I can't see where the π2 would come from in my equation, so I think I'm going about this incorrectly. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your integrand only includes the top half of the shell.

consider: the shell at radius x: R-r<x<R+r, is dx thick 2πx around and h(x) tall.
... so it's volume is dV= 2πxh(x)dx

Sketch it in - label h, then label y, and see how they are related.

Apart from that - keep going. You'll probably need a trig substitution.
Maybe x-R = r.sinθ ?

Last edited:
Would h be 2y, since the height of the cylinder depends on the curve of the torus? So for any point on the torus, where the circular cross section lies in the xy plane, y=sqrt(r2-(x-R)2). Then the cylindrical shell would dip above and below the x axis, so the height should be 2y, right?

LpolaIl.png

gp7CeCg.png

Like this, if that helps clarify at all.

robertmatthew said:
Would h be 2y, since the height of the cylinder depends on the curve of the torus? So for any point on the torus, where the circular cross section lies in the xy plane, y=sqrt(r2-(x-R)2). Then the cylindrical shell would dip above and below the x axis, so the height should be 2y, right?

LpolaIl.png

gp7CeCg.png

Like this, if that helps clarify at all.

That looks good to me. It appears to agree with Simon's comment.

That's what I was thinking - nice pics BTW.
There is no arguing with a decent sketch - people used to say "God is a geometer".

So now you have the volume of the cylindrical shell radius x: R-r<x<R+r, is $$dV = 4\pi x \sqrt{r^2-(x-R)^2}\; dx = f(x)\; dx$$... now it is just a matter of adding up all the dV's.
Since these are infinitesimal thickness shells, the summation sign is replaced by an integral over appropriate llmits. $$V=\int_V \; dV = \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\; dx$$ ... writing that out, with correct numbers for a, b, and f(x), is the next step - then you can use a substitution.

Alright, I substituted u=x-R and solved far enough to find a shortcut using the area of a semicircle, and then evaluated to get 2π2Rr2. Thanks!

I'd have gone right to x-R=r.sin(u).
But well done anyway.

Notice that ##A=\pi r^2## is the area of the crossection circle and ##C=2\pi R## is the circumference at the center. This means the volume of the torus turned out to be V=AC ... which is the volume of a cylinder radius r and height C. Does that make sense?

1. What is a torus?

A torus is a 3-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a doughnut or inner tube. It is created by rotating a circle around an axis in 3D space.

2. How can cylindrical shells be used to find the volume of a torus?

Cylindrical shells can be used to find the volume of a torus by imagining the torus as a stack of infinitely thin cylindrical shells stacked on top of each other. The volume of each shell can be calculated and then all the volumes can be added together to find the total volume of the torus.

3. What are the dimensions needed to calculate the volume of a torus?

To calculate the volume of a torus using cylindrical shells, you will need to know the radius of the circle (r) and the distance from the center of the circle to the center of the torus (R). These dimensions can be used to determine the height of each cylindrical shell.

4. Can you show an example of using cylindrical shells to find the volume of a torus?

Yes, for example, if the radius of the circle is 2 units and the distance from the center of the circle to the center of the torus is 4 units, the height of each cylindrical shell would be 4 units. The volume of each shell can be calculated using the formula V = 2πrh, where h is the height of the shell. By adding up the volumes of all the shells, the total volume of the torus can be found.

5. Are there any limitations to using cylindrical shells to find the volume of a torus?

Yes, this method assumes that the torus is made up of infinitely thin cylindrical shells, which may not be an accurate representation of a real-life torus. Additionally, this method may be more complex and time-consuming compared to other methods of finding the volume of a torus.