1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical shells to find volume of a torus

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use cylindrical shells to find the volume of a torus with radii r and R.
    9jZwhrS.png

2. Relevant equations
    V= ∫[a,b] 2πxf(x)dx
    y= sqrt(r2 - (x-R)2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    V= ∫ [R, R+r] 2πx sqrt(r2 - x2 - 2xR + R2) dx

I feel like this isn't going in the right direction, though. I found a different post about the same question, but that person was using disks, and the volume was 2π2r2R, and I can't see where the π2 would come from in my equation, so I think I'm going about this incorrectly. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It looks like your integrand only includes the top half of the shell.

consider: the shell at radius x: R-r<x<R+r, is dx thick 2πx around and h(x) tall.
    ... so it's volume is dV= 2πxh(x)dx

Sketch it in - label h, then label y, and see how they are related.

Apart from that - keep going. You'll probably need a trig substitution.
    Maybe x-R = r.sinθ ?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. Mar 3, 2014 #3
    Would h be 2y, since the height of the cylinder depends on the curve of the torus? So for any point on the torus, where the circular cross section lies in the xy plane, y=sqrt(r2-(x-R)2). Then the cylindrical shell would dip above and below the x axis, so the height should be 2y, right?

LpolaIl.png
    gp7CeCg.png
    Like this, if that helps clarify at all.

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good to me. It appears to agree with Simon's comment.

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's what I was thinking - nice pics BTW.
    There is no arguing with a decent sketch - people used to say "God is a geometer".

So now you have the volume of the cylindrical shell radius x: R-r<x<R+r, is $$dV = 4\pi x \sqrt{r^2-(x-R)^2}\; dx = f(x)\; dx$$... now it is just a matter of adding up all the dV's.
    Since these are infinitesimal thickness shells, the summation sign is replaced by an integral over appropriate llmits. $$V=\int_V \; dV = \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\; dx$$ ... writing that out, with correct numbers for a, b, and f(x), is the next step - then you can use a substitution.

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6
    Alright, I substituted u=x-R and solved far enough to find a shortcut using the area of a semicircle, and then evaluated to get 2π2Rr2. Thanks!

8. Mar 5, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd have gone right to x-R=r.sin(u).
    But well done anyway.

Notice that ##A=\pi r^2## is the area of the crossection circle and ##C=2\pi R## is the circumference at the center. This means the volume of the torus turned out to be V=AC ... which is the volume of a cylinder radius r and height C. Does that make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted