D.E. Reduction of Order: Can't integrate

In summary, the conversation discusses a shortcut formula for integration, which requires dividing by 6x^2. The correct formula is dividing by 6 and x^2. The conversation also discusses the use of Ti-nSpire CAS for integration and the steps to determine the largest interval of definition for an equation. The largest interval of definition for this equation is (0,inf).
Jeff12341234
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your shortcut formula to work, what form must your DE be in i.e. how would you need to rewrite it as?

oh yea. I need to divide everything by 6x^2. Thanks.

Jeff12341234 said:
oh yea. I need to divide everything by 6. Thanks.

You need to not only divide by 6, but by x2 as well :wink:

it still won't integrate..

3Hnc0mU.jpg

By virtue of one solution being y = x^(1/2) you can say that x > 0.

So that |x| = x

If you remember how |x| is defined:

|x| = -x for x<0
|x| = x for x > 0

So going on that concept, are these two answers correct?

yZWlgYc.jpg

For 9: The actual integration is correct, however, your formula is wrong as you are multiplying by √2 instead of √x (y1).

Number 10 should be correct. Not quite sure how you deduced the integral was equal to x2sin(lnx) but it is correct.

Thanks. I fixed #9. For #10 I just used the Ti-nSpire CAS.

Jeff12341234 said:
Thanks. I fixed #9. For #10 I just used the Ti-nSpire CAS.

AH okay then. But for other integrals just make sure you can do them by hand if you ever need to.

Also when you are putting together your general solution, you can combine the constants so if you have y=c1x+25c2x2, you can rewrite it as y=c1x+c3x2.

noted. thanks

What is the "largest interval of definition"? (0,inf)?

Jeff12341234 said:
What is the "largest interval of definition"? (0,inf)?

I believe that would be it as x > 0 would make the equation valid.

What are the steps you go through to answer that part of the question? You look in the denominator of every step to try to see if any x value would make the equation undefined? or do you just see if any x value would make the equation undefined for the final answer? or do you see if any x value would make the equation undefined for y1 and y2?

Jeff12341234 said:
What are the steps you go through to answer that part of the question? You look in the denominator of every step to try to see if any x value would make the equation undefined? or do you just see if any x value would make the equation undefined for the final answer? or do you see if any x value would make the equation undefined for y1 and y2?

Yes, you would check to see where the function exists. The function will not exist for x=0 as seen in the solution of y2 and not exist if x < 0 as seen in y1 and y2.

ok. So to be specific, you only look at the y1 and y2 when checking where the function exists, not the any of the work done to get the solutions.

Jeff12341234 said:
ok. So to be specific, you only look at the y1 and y2 when checking where the function exists, not the any of the work done to get the solutions.

Basically.

What is D.E. Reduction of Order?

D.E. Reduction of Order is a method used to simplify a higher-order differential equation into a lower-order equation. This makes it easier to solve the equation and find a general solution.

How is D.E. Reduction of Order performed?

D.E. Reduction of Order involves substituting a new variable for the original independent variable and then solving for the original variable. This creates a new reduced equation with one less independent variable.

Why is D.E. Reduction of Order necessary?

D.E. Reduction of Order is necessary because it allows for the solution of a differential equation to be expressed in terms of simpler functions. This makes it easier to work with and understand the solution.

Can any differential equation be reduced using D.E. Reduction of Order?

No, not all differential equations can be reduced using D.E. Reduction of Order. This method is only applicable to linear, homogeneous equations. Nonlinear and non-homogeneous equations cannot be reduced using this method.

What are some applications of D.E. Reduction of Order?

D.E. Reduction of Order is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to solve differential equations that model various physical systems. It is also used in financial modeling and other mathematical applications.