1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Daily Work of a Mechanical Engineer

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1
    Not sure if this is the place for this thread and after looking through 5 pages of a search, I didn't find a similar topic, but please tell me if I'm wrong.

As you can tell I'm new, so hello, I'll probably be on here more in a few months as I'll be starting grade 11 and may need help.

Anyway, on to the topic hand. For the past few months, the idea of aiming to become a Mechanical Engineer has become very appealing. I'm very analytical and have always been interested in the way things works and building things. My marks are only in the low-80s at the moment, but I'm hoping if I kick it into overdrive I'll be able to pull off good marks. If not, hopefully I won't fall too far away from my goal. But as I read more and more about this career path, I get more and more worried about the work involved. From what I understand, the process to becoming and the schooling of an Engineer is very, very difficult. I'm wondering, is this the same as the daily work of a Mechanical Engineer? Do all of the aspects of University that make Engineering a difficult subject transfer over to make your average day on the job just as difficult? Is it very stressful or are you generally not bugged by managers? Is there a lot of late-night and weekend work or are your hours pretty solid?

I'd just like to know these things because in the future I'd prefer to enjoy my life rather than have a heart attack from the stress of my daily life. I'll leave my wall of text at that for now, I look forward to posting more in the future. I may not know very much now, but there seems to be a large amount of very intelligent people on this forum.

-Kevin

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Don't think of it as difficult, but rather think of it as 'challenging'.

As a colleague mentioned, if it was easy - we wouldn't get paid the big bucks. :biggrin:

Somebody has to take on the challenges. One has to find answers to problems (which are not in the back of the book) and produce results.

The goal of education is to become proficient such that one's work is interesting and challenging, but it's also rewarding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook