Mechanical engineering or Aerospace engineer

In summary, the speaker is a first-year student who must choose between Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering in a short period of time. They mention being better at memorization and language skills than mathematics, but have no prior experience in either field. They also express uncertainty about the job prospects for each discipline in both Hong Kong and globally. Another person suggests that Mechanical Engineering offers more job opportunities and the speaker should choose that path.
yecko
Gold Member
I am a year one student who is going to promote to year 2 in September, and I am required to choose between Mechanical engineering or Aerospace engineer within these few days (i just received the urgent message...)

I believe I am better in memorization and language skill than mathematics [compared to most engineers ;)] however, I have not have any taste on both areas ever before...

I do not have special thoughts or interest on both discipline other than the curriculum (facts only...) like I have never knew what skills are more required in the area...

regarding career prospects, in my city hong kong, there are about four to five hundred of mechanical students while only 30 students of my uni are aerospace engineer each year. as my city have got limited career opportunities, i am not sure which has got a better prospect in both hong kong and global view.

anyone can give any advice to me? i would appreciate any of your help! thanks everyone~

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, ME is much more broad than AeroE, and consequently there are more job opportunities most places for MEs. If in doubt, I recommend that you go the ME route. As an ME, you can still work in aerospace, if you want to and find the proper opportunity (I did work in aerospace with an ME background).

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a broad discipline that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. While there is some overlap between the two fields, aerospace engineering is more specialized and typically involves more advanced mathematics and physics concepts.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available for mechanical engineers and aerospace engineers?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as automotive, manufacturing, or energy. They may be involved in designing and developing new products, improving existing systems, or solving technical problems. Aerospace engineers can work for aerospace companies, government agencies, or military organizations. They may be involved in the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, or missiles.

3. What skills are necessary to become a successful mechanical engineer or aerospace engineer?

Both mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, both fields require good communication and teamwork skills, as engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams to complete projects.

4. Can mechanical engineers and aerospace engineers work in the same industry?

Yes, there are industries that require the expertise of both mechanical engineers and aerospace engineers. For example, companies that design and manufacture aircraft engines may employ both types of engineers. Additionally, there are companies that specialize in both mechanical and aerospace engineering services, providing opportunities for engineers in both fields to work together.

5. What are some current trends in mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Some current trends in mechanical engineering include the development of sustainable and renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and solar panels. In aerospace engineering, there is a focus on developing more fuel-efficient aircraft and spacecraft, as well as advancements in space exploration technology. Both fields are also seeing the integration of new technologies, such as artificial intelligence and additive manufacturing, into their processes.