Damped & Driven Pendulums (in _pure_ Python)

In summary: Animated(θ0, θdot0, step, color='black')
m4r35n357
TL;DR Summary
Minimal example code for experimentation
This is another application of using Taylor recurrences (open access) to solve ODEs to arbitrarily high order (e.g. 10th order in the example invocation). It illustrates use of trigonometric recurrences, rather than the product recurrences in my earlier Lorenz ODE posts.

Enjoy!

Simulator:
#!/usr/bin/env python3
#  Example: ./forced.py 10 .05 10001 1.0 1.0 0.1 4.9 1.1
from sys import argv
from math import pi, sqrt, sin, cos

def jet(n, value=0.0):
    j = [0.0] * n
    j[0] = value
    return j

def Σ(j, n, h):
    result = j[n]
    for i in range(n - 1, -1, -1):
        result = result * h + j[i]
    return result

def _dd(v, u, i):
    return sum(j * u[j] * v[i - j] for j in range(1, i)) / i

def t_sin_cos(s, c, u, i):
    return (sin(u[0]), cos(u[0])) if i == 0 else (c[0] * u[i] + _dd(c, u, i), - s[0] * u[i] - _dd(s, u, i))

order, δt, n_steps = int(argv[1]), float(argv[2]), int(argv[3])  # integrator controls
g, m, length = 9.80665, float(argv[4]), float(argv[5])  # physical parameters
ζ, a, ω = float(argv[6]), float(argv[7]), 2.0 * pi * sqrt(length / g) * float(argv[8])  # damping/forcing parameters

θ0, θdot0 = 0.0, 0.0  # initial values
θ, θdot, sinθ, cosθ = jet(order + 1), jet(order + 1), jet(order), jet(order)  # jets
for step in range(1, n_steps):
    print("{:.9e} {:.9e} {:.9e} {:.5e}".format(θ0, θdot0, float(0.0), step * δt))
    θ[0], θdot[0] = θ0, θdot0
    for k in range(order):  # build up jets using recurrences and the derivative rule
        sinθ[k], cosθ[k] = t_sin_cos(sinθ, cosθ, θ, k)
        θ[k + 1] = θdot[k] / (k + 1)
        θdot[k + 1] = (a * cos(ω * step * δt) - ζ * length * θdot[k] - m * g * sinθ[k]) / (m * length) / (k + 1)
    θ0, θdot0 = Σ(θ, order, δt), Σ(θdot, order, δt)  # Horner's method

Likes Filip Larsen
Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing!

It’s always great to code snippets. I didn’t realize that in python you could use Greek letters for method and variable names like ##\Sigma##

jedishrfu said:
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers. Here is a slightly tidied and reduced version, single-use functions are eliminated, and now uses f-strings for output formatting:
Python:
#!/usr/bin/env python3
#  Example: ./forced.py 10 .05 4001 1.0 1.0 0.1 4.9 1.1 | ./plotAnimated.py 1 -50 50
from sys import argv
from math import pi, sqrt, sin, cos

def dd(v, u, i):
    return sum(j * u[j] * v[i - j] for j in range(1, i)) / i

order, δt, n_steps = int(argv[1]), float(argv[2]), int(argv[3])  # integrator controls
g, m, l = 9.80665, float(argv[4]), float(argv[5])  # physical parameters
ζ, a, ω = float(argv[6]), float(argv[7]), 2.0 * pi * sqrt(l / g) * float(argv[8])  # damping/forcing

θ0, θdot0 = 0.0, 0.0  # initial values
θ, θdot, sinθ, cosθ = [0.0] * (order + 1), [0.0] * (order + 1), [0.0] * order, [0.0] * order  # jets
for step in range(1, n_steps):
    print(f'{θ0:.9e} {θdot0:.9e} {0.0:.9e} {step * δt:.5e}')

# build up jets using recurrences and the derivative rule
    θ[0], θdot[0] = θ0, θdot0
    for k in range(order):
        sinθ[k], cosθ[k] = (sin(θ[0]), cos(θ[0])) if k == 0 else (cosθ[0] * θ[k] + dd(cosθ, θ, k),
                                                                - sinθ[0] * θ[k] - dd(sinθ, θ, k))
        θ[k + 1] = θdot[k] / (k + 1)
        θdot[k + 1] = (a * cos(ω * step * δt) - ζ * l * θdot[k] - m * g * sinθ[k]) / (m * l) / (k + 1)

# evaluate series using Horner's method
    θ0, θdot0 = θ[order], θdot[order]
    for k in range(order - 1, -1, -1):
        θ0, θdot0 = θ0 * δt + θ[k], θdot0 * δt + θdot[k]

Last edited:

1. What is a damped pendulum?

A damped pendulum is a type of pendulum that experiences a decrease in amplitude over time due to the effects of friction or drag. This causes the pendulum to eventually come to a stop, rather than continuing to swing indefinitely like a frictionless pendulum.

2. What is a driven pendulum?

A driven pendulum is a type of pendulum that is periodically forced or driven by an external source, such as a motor or hand. This external force can cause the pendulum to oscillate with a larger amplitude or at a different frequency than it would without the driving force.

3. How do you model a damped and driven pendulum in pure Python?

To model a damped and driven pendulum in pure Python, you can use the mathematical equations that describe the motion of the pendulum and implement them in your code. This can be done using the built-in math library in Python.

4. What are the applications of damped and driven pendulums?

Damped and driven pendulums have various applications in physics and engineering, such as in clock mechanisms, seismometers, and suspension systems. They are also used in experiments to study the effects of damping and driving forces on the motion of pendulums.

5. Can you adjust the parameters of a damped and driven pendulum in pure Python?

Yes, you can adjust the parameters of a damped and driven pendulum in pure Python by changing the values of variables in your code. These variables may include the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, the damping coefficient, and the driving frequency or amplitude.