1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Oscillator equation - Energy

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    the damped oscillator equation:

(m)y''(t) + (v)y'(t) +(k)y(t)=0

Show that the energy of the system given by

E=(1/2)mx'² + (1/2)kx²

satisfies:

dE/dt = -mvx'

i have gone through this several time simply differentiating the expression for E wrt and i end up with

dE/dt = x'(-vx')

im at a brick wall. Am i doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is some sort of problem with the equation you have been asked to prove. A damped oscillator is always losing energy. Your solution shows that is true. The given solution would say the oscillator is sometimes gaining energy if the sign of x' is correct. I don't think that's correct.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't just differentiate E the way you did and prove the theorem. You need to incorporate the basic diff eq representing a damped spring-mass system. The expression for E represents ANY spring-mass system, damped or not, linear or not, etc.

The only thing I can think of is to solve the diff eq (it's a simple 2nd order one with constant coeff). Apply an initial condition to x = x0. Derive the solution x(t) and then substitute in E, take dE/dt and there you are.

(BTW why is y used in the diff eq and x in E?)

Dick's comment is well taken! Not only his, but I noticed the dimensions don't make sense. dE/dt has dimensions of FLT-1 whereas -mvx' has dimensions of MF where
    M = mass
    F = force = MLT-2
    L = length
    T = time.

Thus -mvx' has the wrong dimensions to be dE/dt.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Paddyod1509 did substitute the differential equation into dE/dt to get his answer. The given answer can't be right. -vx'^2 has the correct units of J/s. -mvx' doesn't.

6. Dec 9, 2012 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I was misled by his wording.

7. Dec 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, he didn't actually say that that's what he did. But once you form dE/dt it's the obvious way to get to -vx'^2.

8. Dec 9, 2012 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So did he solve the d.e. for x(t) and then substitute in E, or what?

9. Dec 9, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. He found dE/dt=mx'x''+kxx'=x'(mx''+kx). The DE then tells you mx''+kx=(-vx'). You don't need to actually solve the DE.

10. Dec 9, 2012 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks. Good job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook