Dampened Harmonic Motion and oscillation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass suspended from a spring and its dampened harmonic motion. The goal is to calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to 50% of its initial value. The solution involves using the fact that the amplitude decreases by a factor of 0.985 with each oscillation, and relating the initial and final energies.
seichan
[SOLVED] Dampened Harmonic Motion

Homework Statement

A mass M is suspended from a spring and oscillates with a period of 0.900 s. Each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of 0.985 due to a small velocity dependent frictional effect. Calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to 50 percent of its initial value. HINT: The amplitude after N oscillations=(initial amplitude)x(factor)^N.

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law dampened- F=-kx-bv
x(t)=Ae^(-bt/2m)cos((dw/dt)t)
Energy=1/2kA^2 OR 1/2kv^2 [NOT constant]

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I am having a difficult time setting this problem up. I do not know how to use the hint either... So far, I have set it up this way:
F=-kx-bv
The integral of this is equal to work. Negative work is equal to KE.
-1/2kx^2+1/2bv^2=1/2kv^2
I realized that this is as far as I can get with this, so I tried to use the x(t) equation. However, we are not given a value for the mass. I am very frustrated right now so any direction you can give would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Seichan,

I believe the correct approach is to use the total energy is (1/2)kA^2. You know how much the amplitude decreases with each oscillation, you know how long each oscillation takes, and you know you need the total energy to be 50%. Try that and see if it works for you.

Thank you. I do not where to go with that, though, because of having no initial Amplitude. I have, however, derived that I am looking for t=ln(2)/(2*angular acceleration). However, I do not know how to get the angular acceleration without having a known mass value. (a. acceleration=b/2m) Any ideas? Thanks again so much.

You do not need the initial amplitude, because you do not need the initial energy. All they ask is for the energy to decrease by 50%. Call the initial amplitude [itex]A_0[/itex]. Now they want the energy to decrease by 50%. Write an expression for the initial energy, write an expression for the final energy, and then relate them. What do you get?

(.5k(A*.985^n))/2=.5kA
.5(A*.985^n)=A
A*.985^n=2A
.985^n=A

I feel like I'm missing something there, due to the fact that answer makes no sense. Thanks for baring with me.

I think you have a few mistakes here.

Initial energy is 0.5 k A^2

final energy is 0.5 k (.985^N A)^2

final energy = 0.5 initial energy

(Also in going from the third to the fourth line of your post the A's would have cancelled, which is why you don't need them.)

Alright. I got you there. My new arithmatic looks like this:

.5kA^2=[.5k(.985^n*A)^2]/2
kA^2=.5k(.985^n*A)^2
2A^2=(.985^n*A)(.985^n*A)
2=(.985^n)^2
ln(2)=.985^n

Ack! I'm truly sorry- it's been a long night and barely anything seems coherent anymore...

That's close, but there's two last issues here. The final energy is 1/2 the initial energy, so you need the first line to be

(1/2)* .5kA^2=[.5k(.985^n*A)^2]

Working down, we get a line like your fourth line, which is (doing your steps but starting with the above):

(1/2) = 0.985 ^(2n)

When you take the natural log, the exponent comes down:

ln(1/2) = 2n ln(0.985)

Thank you so much again. That was correct =) Your help was greatly appreciated!

Great! Glad I could help.

1. What is dampened harmonic motion and oscillation?

Dampened harmonic motion and oscillation is a type of periodic motion where the amplitude decreases over time due to the presence of a dissipative force, such as friction or air resistance.

2. What is the difference between dampened and undampened harmonic motion?

In undampened harmonic motion, the amplitude remains constant over time, while in dampened harmonic motion, the amplitude decreases over time due to the presence of a dissipative force.

3. How is the period of dampened harmonic motion affected by the damping coefficient?

The period of dampened harmonic motion is inversely proportional to the damping coefficient. This means that as the damping coefficient increases, the period of the motion decreases.

4. Can dampened harmonic motion be described by a simple mathematical equation?

Yes, dampened harmonic motion can be described by a simple differential equation known as the damped harmonic oscillator equation. This equation takes into account the effects of damping on the motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of dampened harmonic motion?

Some examples of dampened harmonic motion in real life include a swinging pendulum with air resistance, a guitar string that gradually loses its vibration, and a car's suspension system as it absorbs the shock from bumps on the road.