Danish radio station defends killing baby rabbit live on air

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Radio
In summary, a Danish radio station is defending a show during which the host killed a baby rabbit live on air, saying it was intended to show the hypocrisy of animal lovers. The host beat the rabbit to death with a bicycle pump, and many listeners are revolted.
StevieTNZ
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe...ation-defends-killing-baby-rabbit-live-on-air

A Danish radio station is defending a show during which the host killed a baby rabbit by hitting it with a bicycle pump, live on air, saying it was intended to show the hypocrisy of animal lovers.

The host, Asger Juhl, killed the baby rabbit, called Allan, "according to careful instructions by a professional animal caretaker from a Danish zoo", station 24/7 said on Tuesday (local time).

He later took the rabbit home, skinned it and cooked it.

I'm totally disgusted. I will be investigating the Danish laws around animal abuse, and seeing whether this constitutes a breach of law.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Classic example of Poe's Law here. Are you seriously disgusted that a man killed and ate an animal?

rolotomassi said:
Classic example of Poe's Law here. Are you seriously disgusted that a man killed and ate an animal?
I am. He did it for publicity.
A Danish radio station is defending a show during which the host killed a baby rabbit by hitting it with a bicycle pump, live on air, saying it was intended to show the hypocrisy of animal lovers.
What? He beat it to death with a bicycle pump, what was the point of that?

For sure its extreme, the pump was tasteless and all life is sacred. But the point was to point to the hipocrisy mentioned, which is more disgusting. Its a horrible act that would make you feel bad for a long time I imagine, in that respect there is some nobility in what he did no?

Evo said:
I am. He beat it to death with a bicycle pump, what was the point of that?
rolotomassi said:
For sure its extreme, the pump was tasteless and all life is sacred. But the point was to point to the hipocrisy mentioned, which is more disgusting. Its a horrible act that would make you feel bad for a long time I imagine, in that respect there is some nobility in what he did no?
No, he brutally killed a baby pet bunny for nothing but ratings, he's a scum bag, he could have brought attention to slaughterhouses without this ghastly act of unnecessary cruelty. I hope charges are pressed against him.

Likes phinds
rolotomassi said:
all life is sacred.

That is a hypocrasy in itself.
People will pick and choose.
A spider or snake vary rarely will receive no such sympathy for its demise.

The bunny rabbit - poor defenceless creature with big round eyes and so cute and it had to die.
The guy just saying he was going to have rabbit for dinner that night would not elicit audience reaction.
So instead, he killed his own meal, and some, if not a majority of listeners will be revolted. Which is what he knew would happen.

Most people are not aquainted with death, and are protected from said, as our sanitized world does leave a divide there leaving the blood, guts and gore someplace else out of sight for someone else to deal with. Where do veal cutlets come from? - the grocery store.
Cooking shows might not be so popular if the chicken, pig, cow walking around the set was said to be the meal for the day.
Yet, dinners can go out to some restaurant and choose what living lobster needs to do the ultimate sacrifice for their own self centered pleasure and suffer no remorse.

And, fishing shows on TV. No problem with a fish dying right at the bottom of the boat.

Buy a lot of land and put up a house. Again No problem. Who cares what creature - birds in the trees, worms in the ground - used to call that home. Being dead or displaced they do not have a voice( vary rarely ) in their defence.

So yeah - it is hypocrasy when you really do get down to analyzing the impact our one life, just by living, can have upon other creatures.
It is not rational, but who ever said it should be.

Likes rolotomassi and billy_joule
He did it for publicity, it's radio, he could have pretended to kill the little baby and had just as much impact, and the needlessly cruel way it was killed was unnecessary.

I strongly condemn this killing. It was needless and done for no reason other than ratings. To me it has nothing to do with slaughterhouses, it only makes me think what a sick, twisted person would do something like this. I'm sure many people can only think of the cruelty to the bunny, his "so called message" has been lost on the majority of people.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Evo said:
He did it for publicity, it's radio, he could have pretended to kill the little baby and had just as much impact,
Can't argue with that. All in the name of ratings.
He will get the publicity. He should have said it was a impulse to do performing art, with "some viewers may be offended".
These over the top stunts from radio usually have the tendency to backfire, and I wonder how long he keeps his job.

Likes Evo
Evo said:
No, he brutally killed a baby pet bunny for nothing but ratings, he's a scum bag, he could have brought attention to slaughterhouses without this ghastly act of unnecessary cruelty.

It's not cruelty in the eyes of the any law I've heard of and I doubt this thread or all the other publicity would exist if the rabbit was not killed.

I've worked in a slaughterhouse and also seen many 'home kills'. Being knocked on the head with a bike pump or sim. is a positively pleasant experience compared to what many farmed animals receive.

Using shock tactics to draw attention to these sorts of issues appears to be effective. IME most animal welfare initiatives tend to use them.
Jamie Oliver's had shows where he electrocuted and bled out animals on film:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jan/12/ethicalfood-animalwelfare

"...Their campaigns led to significant increases in sales of poultry raised to higher welfare standards."

Likes rolotomassi
Well, it's turned me off, so I imagine many others have been turned off and let's see, what's that called ...FAIL.

While I typically like showing vegitarians to be hypocrites, I question the need to kill the rabbit with a bike pump -- seems pretty random. However, it did generate some of the hoped-for hypocrisy, including the always ironic death threats from people who wouldn't otherwise kill animals.

russ_watters said:
While I typically like showing vegitarians to be hypocrites, I question the need to kill the rabbit with a bike pump -- seems pretty random. However, it did generate some of the hoped-for hypocrisy, including the always ironic death threats from people who wouldn't otherwise kill animals.
Animals are innocent, for the most part they don't kill for publicity. The bunny should not have been killed for this reason or in this manner. You can bring attention to slaughterhouse practices without this killing, as it has effectively been done before. I had to read the article 3 times to even understand what this sick, perverted person's reasons were. The only thing I take away from this, is that this person is sick, they are cruel and they need mental help. I am aware of slaughterhouses, ans this did not bring them to mind. If anything, he's hurt the cause by turning people against him. All I see is a horrendous, shameful act of cruelty to gain show ratings. I hope he loses his job, he's not fit to be in the public's *eye*.

Last edited:
Likes Evo
So I think this guy proved his point concerning hypocrisy.

Now we're going to see the usual moral panic, thanks Evo for providing that.

256bits said:
That is a hypocrasy in itself.

I don't see how that statement is hypocritical. All life is sacred, that doesn't imply all life is equal in our eyes. Life being sacred has nothing to do with human opinion or action. If so then are Muslims and Black people's life less sacred than white people? Definitely not. I mean sacred in the innate sense, not that it is treated as some sort of deity.
I guess the point the radio station was trying to make resonates with me. Human death is horrible, we don't like to think about it and so media often portrays tragedy as something disconnected from us. As 256 says, even animal death we lock away and out of sight out of mind. Meat is cooked to death and cut into nice little squares sold in nice plastic boxes so we don't even recognize or appreciate the animal the that died.
Now a little rabbit? How homely, how relate-able. Just the right amount of death for most people to get angry and passionate about to convince themselves they still care.

rolotomassi said:
I don't see how that statement is hypocritical. All life is sacred, that doesn't imply all life is equal in our eyes. Life being sacred has nothing to do with human opinion or action. If so then are Muslims and Black people's life less sacred than white people? Definitely not. I mean sacred in the innate sense, not that it is treated as some sort of deity.
I guess the point the radio station was trying to make resonates with me. Human death is horrible, we don't like to think about it and so media often portrays tragedy as something disconnected from us. As 256 says, even animal death we lock away and out of sight out of mind. Meat is cooked to death and cut into nice little squares sold in nice plastic boxes so we don't even recognize or appreciate the animal the that died.
Now a little rabbit? How homely, how relate-able. Just the right amount of death for most people to get angry and passionate about to convince themselves they still care.
Let me think:
-we eat meat;
-we use leather products;
-we accept killing of wild animals on high scale when it gets on our way in construction projects or agriculture;
-we accept poisoning rats.

And now we express our great outrage about one rabbit...

I can swallow my own saliva from my mouth. I do not like to spit my saliva into a glass tumbler, and drink it from there. Am I a hypocrite?

Eating meat, killing of wild animals on high scale when it gets on our way in construction projects or agriculture, poisoning rats - All there have evolutionary survival benefits for us. But that does not mean humans do not have secondary suffering. I do not call it hypocrisy.

Likes Evo

FAQ: Danish radio station defends killing baby rabbit live on air

1. Why did the radio station choose to kill a baby rabbit live on air?

The radio station defended their decision by saying it was a social experiment to raise awareness about animal cruelty and the meat industry.

2. Did the radio station receive any backlash for their actions?

Yes, the radio station faced immediate backlash from animal rights activists and the general public for their disturbing and unethical stunt.

3. Did the baby rabbit suffer during the live broadcast?

According to the radio station, the rabbit was humanely killed by a professional butcher and did not suffer during the broadcast. However, many argue that the mere act of killing an animal for entertainment is cruel and unethical.

4. What consequences did the radio station face for their actions?

The radio station faced heavy criticism and calls for boycotts from listeners and advertisers. They also received a fine from the Danish media authority for violating animal welfare laws.

5. Did the radio station's apology satisfy the public?

Many people felt that the radio station's apology was insincere and did not make up for their unethical actions. The incident sparked a larger conversation about the use of shock tactics and the responsibility of media outlets to consider the impact of their actions on society.

Back