1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Darwin and relativistic kinetic energy correction for hydrogen

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Combine the Darwin correction with the relativistic kinetic energy correction for l=0 to show that the fine structure formula:

[itex]\Delta[/itex]E[itex]_{fs}[/itex]= - [itex]\frac{(E^{(0)2}_{n})}{2mc^{2}}[/itex][[itex]\frac{4n}{j + 1/2}[/itex]-3]

remains valid for l=0

2. Relevant equations

From a previous problem the Darwin hamiltionian is shown to affected only under s-states
    where for any s-state the formula [itex]\frac{2}{na^{3/2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

so I know for s-states j=1/2 and l=0 (obviously). Overall, I am unsure as to what to show here, meaing:

do I combine the correction for the darwin energy to the correctionn for kinetic energy and then just show that for l=0, j=1/2 the equation still remains valid?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook