Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Daves insanity hot ghost peper sauce.

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I had some of this given to me as an exmas present, and i can tell you it is hot, what i need is a recipe that i can include it in, any ideas welcomed .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2012 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too funny! I got some from my nephew.

4. Jan 1, 2012 #3
    what else? chili!

5. Jan 1, 2012 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Yes but how to make it, i need a recipe.

6. Jan 1, 2012 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Have you tried it yet Ivan, if you have i think you will agree that it is hot.

7. Jan 1, 2012 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not yet. I was waiting until the next time I make nachos.

I have eaten peppers with the same scoville value, but it was painful.

8. Jan 1, 2012 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Will some one please give me a recipe, i am fed up just scraping this sauce on cheese straws and pork pies.

9. Jan 1, 2012 #8
    - slice bacon into smallish (0.5-1.0cm) strips & fry in heavy pot, or alternatively just pour some oil in
    - add diced onion, carrot, celery, mushed garlic & any number of chiles your store has, in any amount. cook until onions go clear (~10mins)
    - add maybe 1-1.5lb (450-600g) ground beef & cook until it loses its raw red colour (not necessary to brown)
    - add spice mix like chili powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, chipotle powder, etc
    - add 796g can of diced tomatoes & 400ml can crushed tomatoes, 12oz (~330ml) bottle of IPA (or any sort of bitter), corn from 2 grilled corncobs, at least a couple tablespoons of chili garlic sauce & any amount of ANY KIND OF HOT SAUCE :wink:
    - simmer (occasional bubble here & there) for 3-4hrs, stir occasionally. add water if necessary

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. Jan 1, 2012 #9
    This is the first time I heard someone asking for a hot sauce recipe.

I will take it with anything I have for dinner or lunch or breakfast.

Egg and cheese, any other sandwich, pizza, lasagna, noodles, chicken, beef, pork, mcdonald/kfc burgers, anything! :!!)

11. Jan 1, 2012 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

These are all award winning Wolram. You might like this chili, but you can browse from the winners. And you can add your pepper sauce to taste.

http://www.chili.org/yahoo.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  12. Jan 2, 2012 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Evo, i have book marked that page, there are some items i am not sure i can find in the UK, I will have to check out some shops.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  13. Jan 2, 2012 #12
    sliced onion
    minced beef(low fat or previously fried with fat poured away)
    sliced mushrooms(optional)
    sliced green pepper(optional)
    can of tomatoes
    seasoning
    pepper sauce
    oil

1.Fry onion until it starts to brown
    2.Add mushrooms and pepper and fry for a few more minutes.
    3.Add minced beef and enough of the canned tomatoes to cover.
    4.Add seasoning and hot sauce according to taste.
    5.Simmer until pepper starts to soften.
    This quick and easy recipe goes well with jacket potatoes and salad or with rice.
    Choose portion sizes according to your appetite.It freezes well.

14. Jan 2, 2012 #13

wolram

Gold Member

thanks Dadface, this is up to my skill level, though i might substitute the mushroom for chili beans.

15. Jan 2, 2012 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The secret to making perfect tasting chilli (to your taste buds) is to experiment a little. I always make large batches to make several meals. As I'm using it, I will sometimes add other goodies to the bowel then heat by microwave for added tastes. e.g. cheese, extra onions, bell peppers, or ghost peppers (thanks rhody).

16. Jan 2, 2012 #15

turbo

Gold Member

That sounds quite uncomfortable.

17. Jan 4, 2012 #16

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:
    Nice catch!
    I only hope that it was a typo... :uhh:

As for recipes, leave us not forget my most renowned invention: Aftershock! That is 1/2 tequila, 1/2 red Sourpuss, and 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Tabasco. (Ask Dave... :devil:) It seems that a few drops of your stuff would make up for the Tabasco. What the hey... it's worth trying.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  18. Jan 4, 2012 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Well, the goodies do end up there. And yea, nice catch.

19. Jan 4, 2012 #18
    I think you should substitute either more tequila or more hot sauce for the red sourpuss

20. Jan 6, 2012 #19

Danger

Gold Member

No! :eek:
    I love Sourpuss. (The beverage, I mean; nothing to do with yeast infections... :yuck:)

21. Jan 17, 2012 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, it wasn't THAT bad. It's a notch up from Tobasco but not nearly as much as one would expect based on the scoville value. And for me, at 5K, Tobasco is fairly mild, so I guess 180K isn't so hot after all. It certainly isn't 36X hotter than Tobasco in the sense that one would expect. As a subjective measure, I would say it's more like twice as hot as Tobasco.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook