Davisson & Germer experiment question

• Thread starter student85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment that provided clear evidence that electrons behave like waves and their wavelength can be calculated using the De Broglie formula. The experiment involved observing diffraction patterns similar to those found with inclined ramps and baseballs, but the conclusion was not immediately accepted due to skepticism about the De Broglie hypothesis and the formula's applicability to particles with mass. However, the diffraction pattern matched the predicted pattern exactly, leading to widespread acceptance of the De Broglie equation and the concept of wave-particle duality. This experiment was also seen as further supporting Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect and the idea of wave-particle duality in 1905.
student85
I've read that this experiment gives clear evidence that electrons do behave like waves and that their wavelength is given by the De Broglie formula. Why did this experiment convince the world so hardly about all this? I mean, can't the experiment results be explained treating the electrons as particles?
Imagine you had an inclined ramp on the floor and you would let baseballs hit it, by letting them go from a certain distance above the ramp. You would have the baseballs be painted so that you could record the place in the floor where the they would land after hitting the ramp. After letting go like a thousand baseballs you would find a pattern in the floor. You will definitely have places where they would land most often, just like Davisson and Germer found with the diffraction patterns of the electrons. Still, you wouldn't attribute a wave-like nature to the baseballs.
I don't know if that was clear, but could someone tell me why the Davisson Germer was so convincing?? I've also been skeptic about the De Broglie hypothesis, I mean maybe particles do behave like waves, but what is the mathematical derivation to get to his formula? His formula is deduced for photons (mass=0), but then this guy comes and says maybe that that formula also applies to particles with mass. Maybe this formula needs some extra term for describing particles with mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the diffraction pattern matched the predicted pattern exactly, should the electrons have behaved like ways.

Yes, I understand that the pattern found was pretty much that from waves... but still, can someone tell me why this experiment was so convincing? ... it was so convincing that de Broglie equation was undoubtly thought as being correct afterwards.

I'd have to review the History in detail, but this 1927 experiment also follows the 1905 explanation of the photoelectric effect by Einstein, where the photon was then seen as having a wave-particle duality.

What is the Davisson & Germer experiment?

The Davisson & Germer experiment, also known as the electron diffraction experiment, was a groundbreaking experiment conducted in 1927 by physicists Clinton Davisson and Lester Germer. It demonstrated the wave-like nature of electrons, confirming the dual nature of matter proposed by quantum mechanics.

What was the purpose of the Davisson & Germer experiment?

The purpose of the Davisson & Germer experiment was to test the wave-particle duality theory of matter. This theory suggests that matter can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, and the experiment aimed to prove this by observing the diffraction patterns of electrons as they passed through a crystal lattice.

How did the Davisson & Germer experiment work?

The experiment involved firing a beam of electrons at a nickel crystal and observing the diffraction pattern formed on a fluorescent screen. The electrons were accelerated through a potential difference and then passed through a thin sheet of nickel, which acted as a diffraction grating. The resulting pattern on the screen confirmed the wave-like behavior of electrons.

What were the results of the Davisson & Germer experiment?

The results of the experiment showed that electrons, like other particles, could exhibit wave-like behaviors. This confirmed the wave-particle duality theory and provided evidence for the quantum mechanical model of the atom. It also led to the development of electron microscopy and other technologies that use the wave-like properties of electrons.

Why is the Davisson & Germer experiment important?

The Davisson & Germer experiment was important because it provided evidence for the wave-particle duality theory and advanced our understanding of the quantum nature of matter. It also paved the way for further research and technological advancements in areas such as electron microscopy and quantum mechanics.