De Broglie wavelength of a particle

In summary, the problem involves a particle with a de Broglie wavelength of 0.00m and its kinetic energy tripling. The question is to determine the particle's new de Broglie wavelength, assuming that relativistic effects can be ignored. However, this is not possible as a real particle cannot have a de Broglie wavelength of 0.00m and ignoring relativistic effects would result in an infinite momentum.
physicsstoodent
The problems is:

A particle has a de Broglie wavelength of 0.00 m. Then its kinetic energy triples. What is the particle's new de Broglie wavelength, assuming that relativistic effects can be ignored?

I have no idea where to begin. Please help me:bugeye:!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a typo above, a real particle can't have a deBroglie wavelength of 0.00m.

Also, for future reference, questions like this (homework type questions) should be posted in the homework help section. Also, according to the forum rules, you must show some work in order to get homework help here. You must know some more information about this problem. Find me some relevant formulas etc.

either that, or the answer is trivial... ;>

I.e., the new de Broglie wavelength would also be 0.00m

...unfortunately, in this case, I don't think you would be justified in ignoring relativistic effects since the momentum is infinite...

What is the De Broglie wavelength of a particle?

The De Broglie wavelength of a particle is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle in motion. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that particles, such as electrons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

How is the De Broglie wavelength calculated?

The De Broglie wavelength of a particle is calculated by dividing Planck's constant (h) by the momentum of the particle. The formula is: λ = h/p, where λ is the De Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle.

What does the De Broglie wavelength tell us about a particle?

The De Broglie wavelength tells us about the wave-like behavior of a particle. It provides information about the particle's momentum and its relationship to its wavelength. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is significant because it helped to establish the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It also allows us to understand the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in terms of their wave-like properties.

Can the De Broglie wavelength be observed?

No, the De Broglie wavelength cannot be observed directly. It is a mathematical concept that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the effects of the De Broglie wavelength can be observed in experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles.