Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie wavelength shift in gravitational fields

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    Photons are blue-shifted as they accelerate in free-fall toward the earth. When an electron or positron is conceptualized as a wave using de Broglie's equation, are the de Broglie wavelengths of the electron or positron shortened (blue-shifted) as they accelerate toward the earth in free-fall? In other words do gravitational fields effect the quantum de broglie representation of matter-waves?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Hossenfelder wrote a nice post about an experimental demonstration of neutron wavefunctions in gravity: http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2007/06/bouncing-neutrons-in-gravitational.html" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Atyy didn't quite say so explicitly, but the answer to the OP's question is yes.

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the reference. I am reading it now and finding it fascinating. It will take time for me to absorb it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jul 19, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the quick answer. I have wondered about this for some time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook