1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Moivre Laplace theorem question

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

According to the de Moivre Laplace theorem

[tex]\binom{n}{k}p^{k}q^{n-k}\approx\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi{}npq}}e^{-\frac{(k-np)^{2}}{2npq}}[/tex]

For p=q=1/2 this translates nicely into an approximation for the binomial distribution by the normal distribution (the +1/2 is a continuity correction):

[tex]\binom{n}{k}\approx{}2^{n}N(\frac{n}{2},\frac{n}{4})(k)[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]\mbox{(A)}\quad \sum_{k=0}^{m}\binom{n}{k}\approx{}2^{n}\int_{-\infty}^{m+\frac{1}{2}}N(\frac{n}{2},\frac{n}{4})(x)dx[/tex]

This appears to be correct. I am trying to solve a problem for which I need

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{m}k\binom{n}{k}[/tex]

and I am wondering what would keep me from reasoning in analogy to (A) so that

[tex]\mbox{(B)}\quad \sum_{k=0}^{m}k\binom{n}{k}\approx{}2^{n}\int_{-\infty}^{m+\frac{1}{2}}xN(\frac{n}{2},\frac{n}{4})(x)dx[/tex]

Unfortunately, when I use (B) I get some very counter-intuitive results (too complicated to expand on them here).

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

see above

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi stlukits! :smile:

Let X have the binomial(n,1/2) distribution, and let Z have the normal(0,1) distribution. Let

[tex]Y_n=\frac{X-n/2}{\sqrt{n/4}}[/tex]

What you are using is that Yn converges in distribution to Z. This is correct and yields the good results you're getting.

However, after that you use something like

[tex]E[f(Y_n)]\rightarrow E[f(Z)][/tex]

For

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{c}x~\text{if}~x\leq m\\ 0~\text{if}~x>m\end{array}\right.[/tex]
    However, this does not need to hold if you only know convergence in distribution. By Portmanteau theorem, this only holds for functions f with certain properties (like boundedness, which this function f is not).

However, not all is lost. You can do

[tex]\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n}{k}\binom{n-1}{k-1}[/tex]

and thus

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^m{k\binom{n}{k}}=n\sum_{k=1}^m{\binom{n-1}{k-1}}[/tex]

And now you can apply formula A again (which DOES work well!)

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3
    Simple and brilliant. I'll try it. And thanks for explaining why (A) is legit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook