Dead bodies - exponential decay

In summary, in order to find the time of death for a body found at a certain temperature, we can use the equation T=Ae^(kt)+Ts, where T is the temperature of the body, A is the initial temperature, k is a constant, t is time in minutes, and Ts is the surrounding temperature. By assuming the initial temperature to be 37°C, we can set up two equations and use the relationship between the two times given to solve for k and t.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

A body is found at 2:00pm at a temperature of 26°C, with a surrounding temperature of 18°C.
Two hours later the temperature of the body is 21°C, when did the body die?
T=Ae^(kt)+Ts
where T is the temperature of the body
A is the initial temperature
k is a constant
t is time in minutes
Ts is the surrounding temperature
In order to do this assumed at t=0 the body would be 37°C because that is roughly a persons body temperature before death. When I substituted that in though I couldn't get k. How do I get k? Do I need any assumptions? Am I allowed to find k by doing the following
21=26e^(120k)+18 and re-arrange from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
jackscholar said:
In order to do this assumed at t=0 the body would be 37°C because that is roughly a persons body temperature before death. When I substituted that in though I couldn't get k. How do I get k? Do I need any assumptions? Am I allowed to find k by doing the following
21=26e^(120k)+18 and re-arrange from there?

You did identify A to be the initial temperature. So is 260C really the initial temperature?:wink:

I guess not, so how do I go about it then? Substitute in 37°C for the initial,
T=37e^(kt)+18, and if we let T=26 then
26=37e^(kt)+18? Then I can't find k or t, so It'd have to be
21=37e^(120k)+18
re-arrange to find k, but then that defeats the purpose of the other temperature given.

You have two equations:

[tex]26 = 37e^{kt_1}+18[/tex]

and

[tex]21 = 37e^{kt_2}+18[/tex]

What is the relationship between t1 and t2? In other words, [itex]t_2=t_1+?[/itex]
Once you find this, you'll have two equations in two unknowns.

Does it have anything to do with the 2 hours that had passed? Like t2=t1+120? or do we make the subject of both equations t and find it from there?

Yes you can combine those two last equations - do something obvious. I hope it's clear to you that representing as you have, if time is going forward k is a negative number. (Don't know where you got equation from but it is more usual to write as e-kt with k a positive number.) You will have to recall or revise how to combine terms with indices, and natural logarithms.

Last edited:
jackscholar said:
Does it have anything to do with the 2 hours that had passed? Like t2=t1+120?

You're on the right track:smile:

jackscholar said:
Does it have anything to do with the 2 hours that had passed? Like t2=t1+120? or do we make the subject of both equations t and find it from there?

You're right, t2=t1+120 where t is measured in minutes, but I'd stick to hours so you have t2=t1+2.
Now, if you replace t2 by that expression then you'll have two equations and two unknowns, mainly k and t1. You're looking to find t1 since that represents the time (in hours or minutes, depending on the units you used) before 2:00pm.

And yes, begin by making the subject of both equations t1 so that you can find k by equating each equation.

In other words,

[tex]t_1 = f_1(k)[/tex]

[tex]t_1 = f_2(k)[/tex]

Then

[tex]f_1(k)=f_2(k)[/tex]

And you can solve k here. Once that's done, just plug k into either f1 or f2 (depending on which you think might be easier to simplify) to find t1

What is exponential decay in relation to dead bodies?

Exponential decay refers to the gradual process by which a dead body decomposes and breaks down into simpler substances over time. This decay follows a predictable pattern, where the rate of decay is proportional to the amount of remaining material.

What factors affect the rate of decay in dead bodies?

The rate of decay in dead bodies can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, humidity, presence of insects, and access to oxygen. These factors can either accelerate or slow down the decomposition process.

How long does it take for a dead body to completely decompose?

The rate of decomposition can vary depending on the environmental conditions and the initial state of the body, but it typically takes several weeks to several years for a dead body to completely decompose.

Can the age of a dead body be determined through exponential decay?

Yes, the rate of decomposition can be used to estimate the age of a dead body. However, this method is not always accurate as it can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

What are the potential uses of studying exponential decay in dead bodies?

Studying the process of decomposition in dead bodies can have various practical applications such as aiding in forensic investigations, understanding the effects of burial practices on the environment, and improving techniques for corpse disposal. It can also provide valuable insights into the natural processes of recycling and nutrient cycling in ecosystems.