Decay of polarized particle into two spinless

In summary, the conversation is about the decay of a spin-1 massive vector particle into two spinless massive particles. The task at hand is to compute the amplitude M and determine the role of the polarization vectors in this process. The calculation can be done using Feynman rules, with a focus on the unpolarized cross section. The question then turns to a specific scenario where the decaying vector particle is emitted in the x-z plane at an angle theta relative to the z-axis. The goal is to show that the decay rates for different polarization states (Sz=+1, -1, 0) are proportional to sin^2(theta) and cos^2(theta).
moss
Hi All, I want to understand the decay of a spin-1 massive vector particle into two spinless massive particles.

Given a massive vector particle V with spin Sz = +1, 0, -1 decays into 2 massive spinless particles. I have to compute the amplitude M but I don't know what should I do with the polarization vectors?

Hence my Qs. is that, does the Sz vectors becomes the polarization vectors?
is the angular momentum and/or Sz conserve?

I am kind of al-confuso because never did any polarized photon-less decay before.
any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a concrete model at hand? The calculation can be done in the usual way using Feynman rules. Usually you are interested in the unpolarized cross section, i.e., you average ##|\mathcal{M}_{fi}|^2## over the polarization states of the decaying vector particles in the initial state.

vanhees71 said:
Do you have a concrete model at hand? The calculation can be done in the usual way using Feynman rules. Usually you are interested in the unpolarized cross section, i.e., you average ##|\mathcal{M}_{fi}|^2## over the polarization states of the decaying vector particles in the initial state.

Thanks for the reply,
so e.g for Sz=1 what polarization vector should I use assuming the axis is z.?

Okay the original Qs. with V=vector particle and S1 & S2 are spinless is that;

Let V--->S1S2 in the rest frame with S1 emitted in the x-z plane at and angle theta respect to z-axis.
show that the decay rates for polarization states of V with spin Sz=+1,-1,0 along the z-direction
are proportional to sin^2(theta) and cos^2(theta) respectively.

What is the decay of polarized particle into two spinless?

The decay of polarized particle into two spinless is a fundamental process in particle physics where a polarized particle, such as a proton or neutron, decays into two spinless particles, such as pions or kaons. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the properties of particles and their interactions.

What is the significance of studying this decay?

Studying the decay of polarized particle into two spinless is important because it allows scientists to further understand the fundamental forces and laws of nature. It also provides insights into the structure and properties of particles, which can have practical applications in fields such as medicine and technology.

What are the challenges in studying this decay?

One of the main challenges in studying the decay of polarized particle into two spinless is the complex nature of the process. It involves multiple particles and interactions, making it difficult to accurately model and predict. Additionally, the decay products can be difficult to detect and measure, requiring advanced experimental techniques and equipment.

How is the decay of polarized particle into two spinless observed and measured?

The decay of polarized particle into two spinless is observed and measured through high-energy particle accelerators and detectors. These machines accelerate particles to near-light speeds and collide them to produce the desired decay process. The resulting particles are then carefully measured and analyzed using various techniques, such as particle tracking and energy detection, to determine their properties.

What are some current research and developments in this area?

There is ongoing research and development in studying the decay of polarized particle into two spinless, particularly in understanding the underlying mechanisms and properties of the particles involved. Scientists are also working on improving detection and measurement techniques, as well as exploring potential applications of this process in different fields. Additionally, there is ongoing experimentation and analysis of data from high-energy colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to further advance our knowledge in this area.