Polarization vectors of spin-1 particles

In summary, the polarization vectors for the decay of B meson to D* l nu are described in the helicity basis, with different components for the B rest frame and D* particles. The W boson also has polarization vectors in its rest frame, with the time component mentioned. This convention allows for an easy definition of handedness. It is important to note that the internal vector-boson lines stand for propagators and can be chosen in any gauge. The most convenient one is the Feynman gauge.
Safinaz
Hi there,

In the decay of ## B \to D^* l \nu ##, I found that the polarization vectors are described as following:

In the B rest frame the helicity basis

## \bar{\epsilon}(0)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{q^2}} (p_{D^*},0,0,-q_0), \\
\bar{\epsilon}(\pm)=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (0,\pm 1,- i,0), \\
\bar{\epsilon}(t)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{q^2}} (q_0,0,0,-p_{D^*}). ##

and the polarization vectors for ## D^*##

## \epsilon(0)= \frac{1}{m_{D^*}} (p_{D^*},0,0,E_{D^*}),\\
\epsilon(\pm)= \mp \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (0,1,\pm i,0). ##

While for leptons the polarization vectors of W boson into its rest frame:

## \bar{\epsilon}(0)= (0,0,0,-1), \\
\bar{\epsilon}(\pm)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{q^2}} (0,\pm 1,- i,0), \\
\bar{\epsilon}(t)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{q^2}} (1,0 0,0). ##

Have anyone an explanation for this convention ?
I know from Ryder's book for example that the polarization vectors of a massive spin-1 particle are described by 3 components.

Also what is meant by the helicity basis ## \bar{\epsilon} ##, are they different than the polarization vectors of D, B mesons or W ?

Bests.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this uses the spherical coordinates?

And why that? I thought you in the fourms here have an experience about these calculations..

Its just a convention? One points along the Z, two are circular polarizations (those with 1+-i) around the Z axis. Allows you to define handedness in terms of these easily.

So why for the W boson helicity states, the time component is mentioned ## \bar{\epsilon} (t) ## while not for the D meson. the spin of D meson is 0 , and for W is 1, while it's often the polarization four vectors of a massive spin-1 particle described by transverse ## \bar{\epsilon} (\pm) ## and longitudinal ## \bar{\epsilon} (0) ## vectors.

Also as B meson the decaying particle, has not it helicity states?

Thanx

I don't understand, where you need polarization vectors here. The internal vector-boson lines stand for propagators, for which you can choose any gauge you like. The most convenient one is the Feynman gauge, where the Propgator is simply
$$D_{\mu \nu}(k)=-\frac{g_{\mu \nu}}{k^2-M^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
Everything else is given by the Feynman rules and some "Diracology".

1. What are polarization vectors of spin-1 particles?

Polarization vectors of spin-1 particles are mathematical quantities used to describe the orientation and direction of a spin-1 particle's spin. They are represented by complex numbers and are used to calculate the probability of a particle's spin being in a certain direction.

2. How are polarization vectors of spin-1 particles calculated?

Polarization vectors of spin-1 particles are calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics. They are derived from the spin operator, which is a mathematical operator that describes the spin of a particle. The resulting polarization vector is a complex number that describes the probability amplitudes for the particle's spin to be in a particular direction.

3. What is the significance of polarization vectors of spin-1 particles?

Polarization vectors of spin-1 particles are important in understanding the properties and behavior of spin-1 particles in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the spin states of particles and can be used to make predictions about the outcomes of experiments involving spin-1 particles.

4. Can polarization vectors of spin-1 particles change?

Yes, polarization vectors of spin-1 particles can change. In quantum mechanics, the spin of a particle can change when it interacts with other particles or when it is measured. This can cause the polarization vector to change, resulting in a different probability for the particle's spin to be in a particular direction.

5. How are polarization vectors of spin-1 particles experimentally measured?

Polarization vectors of spin-1 particles can be experimentally measured using techniques such as Stern-Gerlach experiments or nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. These experiments involve applying a magnetic field to the particle and measuring the resulting deflection or absorption of the particle, which can provide information about its spin state and, consequently, its polarization vector.