Decisions between Math & Physics for Graduate School

In summary: I think its important to have a solid understanding of what you want before you start investing time and money into something).In summary, if you want to pursue a Physics career with Mathematical purity as your main focus, then you should consider studying a PhD in Theoretical Physics.
Oriako
Hello,
I'm currently going to the University of Alberta taking a double major in Mathematics & Physics (although I can still switch to an Honours Astrophysics degree, which I really want to do... but I think it would be specializing too quickly).

I'm essentially wondering how intertwined high-level Math is into Physics at the Graduate school and Post-doc research level. I'm absolutely fascinated by Pure Math and it's always neat when something overlaps into Physics, and while at the early undergraduate level it's easy to see "Pure Math" concepts in Multivariable Calculus applicable to Physics, but it seems to dwindle off as the math becomes more advanced. I want my career path to be in Physics and not a Mathematician, but I never want to stop learning Math (even if it has no overlap on the physical world whatsoever), so is there any sort of sub-field that would be perfect for me? My main interests from the Physics side of things are: Space Science (ionosphere modeling, atmospheric composition, etc. of the Earth and Exoplanets), the Interstellar Medium & Intergalactic Medium, and Experimental Plasma Physics.

Basically, given my described interests, what sort of graduate program for a PhD that is heavily math based will lead me towards a Physics career? Theoretical Physics? Astrophysics? Mathematical Physics?... the list can go on and on and I really need help distinguishing what the best path for me would be as there are so many sub-disciplines that I am interested in, but know I want to specialize in a place that I will continue to learn Math, not just use undergraduate level math techniques!

Thanks if you actually read this, let me know if you can give me any pointers or advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oriako said:
Hello,
I'm currently going to the University of Alberta taking a double major in Mathematics & Physics (although I can still switch to an Honours Astrophysics degree, which I really want to do... but I think it would be specializing too quickly).

I'm essentially wondering how intertwined high-level Math is into Physics at the Graduate school and Post-doc research level. I'm absolutely fascinated by Pure Math and it's always neat when something overlaps into Physics, and while at the early undergraduate level it's easy to see "Pure Math" concepts in Multivariable Calculus applicable to Physics, but it seems to dwindle off as the math becomes more advanced. I want my career path to be in Physics and not a Mathematician, but I never want to stop learning Math (even if it has no overlap on the physical world whatsoever), so is there any sort of sub-field that would be perfect for me? My main interests from the Physics side of things are: Space Science (ionosphere modeling, atmospheric composition, etc. of the Earth and Exoplanets), the Interstellar Medium & Intergalactic Medium, and Experimental Plasma Physics.

Basically, given my described interests, what sort of graduate program for a PhD that is heavily math based will lead me towards a Physics career? Theoretical Physics? Astrophysics? Mathematical Physics?... the list can go on and on and I really need help distinguishing what the best path for me would be as there are so many sub-disciplines that I am interested in, but know I want to specialize in a place that I will continue to learn Math, not just use undergraduate level math techniques!

Thanks if you actually read this, let me know if you can give me any pointers or advice.

I actually just got online to put up a similar post... I feel, myself, that I will go into String Theory; its a great place to feel like you are doing physics but in a very "mathematical setting". Certainly this is what you want if you don't want to just apply "undergraduate level math techniques" which is what would happen if you went into computational biology or biophysics, for example. Think about it like this:
If mathematics is an extension of logic and is therefore self-consistent, and extremely fundamental, then the sort of field in the physical world that would use similar lines of reason, will certainly be very pure (i.e. string theory or the like). In fact, I don't believe that string theory is yet "proven" in the sense that it has logical flaws in a few places, but that's why peoplpe research it, they are trying to further the blur between the physical world and the logic which governs it (mathematics).

To be honest, I am not interested in String Theory (of course I'm interested in it's results, but not in studying it). I'm not going to get into why I don't want to study String Theory, but let's settle with: there are no jobs in it, I don't want to devote my life to something that has no impact upon society, and that it could be a complete dead end.

well... okay, then Physical Cosmology, or Partical Physics, or General Relativity; each of these fields has its own sort of "flavor" of mathematics. Or better yet, why not do physical chemsitry, like quantum dynamics. It is heavy in mathematics and the physics IS real... its what I'm researching right now...

I can understand your dilemma and appreciate your passion for both math and physics. Both are fundamental disciplines that are heavily intertwined at the graduate and post-doc research level. In fact, many physicists use advanced mathematical techniques in their research, and many mathematicians study physics concepts for their applications in the real world.

Based on your interests in space science, plasma physics, and the interstellar medium, I would recommend pursuing a graduate program in astrophysics or theoretical physics. These fields will allow you to continue learning advanced mathematics while also focusing on your interests in physics. You may also want to consider looking into programs that specifically focus on mathematical physics, as this will allow you to combine your love for both disciplines in a more integrated manner.

It's important to keep in mind that your graduate program does not necessarily determine your career path. Many physicists and mathematicians have interdisciplinary backgrounds and are able to apply their skills in various fields. Therefore, I would also encourage you to keep an open mind and explore different opportunities and research areas during your graduate studies.

In terms of advice, I would recommend talking to professors and advisors in both the math and physics departments at your university. They can provide valuable insights and guidance on potential graduate programs and research opportunities that align with your interests. Additionally, you may want to attend conferences and workshops in your areas of interest to network and learn about the latest research in those fields.

Overall, it's great that you are considering your options early on and seeking advice. With your passion and determination, I have no doubt that you will find a graduate program and career path that allows you to continue learning and applying both math and physics in a meaningful way. Best of luck in your journey!

1. What is the main difference between studying math and physics in graduate school?

The main difference between studying math and physics in graduate school is the focus of each field. Math is primarily concerned with abstract concepts and problem-solving techniques, while physics is focused on understanding and explaining the physical world through mathematical models. Additionally, math tends to be more theoretical, while physics involves experimental research and applications.

2. Which field has better job prospects after graduate school?

Both math and physics have strong job prospects after graduate school. Math graduates often pursue careers in academia, finance, data analysis, or software development. Physics graduates can find employment in research and development, engineering, data science, or teaching. Ultimately, the demand for professionals in each field depends on the specific job market and industry trends.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in both math and physics?

While it is possible to have a strong background in both math and physics, it is uncommon to pursue a graduate degree in both fields simultaneously. Graduate programs typically require students to specialize in one subject and focus on a specific research topic. However, some interdisciplinary programs exist that allow students to combine math and physics coursework.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in both math and physics to succeed in graduate school?

In general, it is beneficial to have a strong foundation in both math and physics before pursuing a graduate degree in either field. However, the specific requirements and prerequisites vary by program. Some graduate programs may have more stringent math requirements, while others may place a greater emphasis on physics coursework. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

5. How can I decide between studying math or physics in graduate school?

Ultimately, the decision between studying math or physics in graduate school depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. Consider which subject you are more passionate about and which aligns better with your long-term career aspirations. You can also speak with professors and professionals in both fields to gain insight into the day-to-day work and opportunities available in each area.