Graduate school in applied math, physics, or engineering?

In summary, the individual is a double major in physics and math, and is seeking graduate programs that combine applied physics, applied math, and engineering. Their ultimate goal is to obtain a Ph.D. and work in a government lab or industry, with a focus on applying science and math to practical applications in engineering or Earth science. They are looking for a program with a balance of hands-on experimental work and theory within a research group, and are seeking advice on specific schools or general types of graduate programs. Some potential areas of interest include seismic predictions, soils engineering and foundations, and petroleum engineering.
olheiser01
Im about to graduate with a physics and math double major, so I'm currently searching for graduate programs that include applied physics, applied math, and engineering. Ultimately I am interested in applying science/math to practical applications in engineering or Earth science. My goal is to complete a Ph.D. and work in a government lab or industry. I am really in search of a program that has a decent balance of hands on experimental work along with modeling and theory done within a research group. I am wondering if anyone has experience in these kinds of programs and/or have advice for what type of graduate program I should look for in general or even for specific schools. I appreciate any wisdom on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimately, it all depends on your own interests.

You could look for a group doing work on seismic predictions, with a view toward Earth quake engineering work.

You could look at soils engineering and foundations. This does not appear very glamorous, but there is a great need for better knowledge in this area. The whole field is very wide open I think. I would look at Civil Engineering for this.

You could look at Petroleum engineering for a better understanding of reservoir mechanics and the formation of petroleum in the earth.

1. What are the admission requirements for graduate programs in applied math, physics, or engineering?

Admission requirements vary by program and university, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in a related field with a strong background in math, physics, or engineering courses. They may also be required to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate program in applied math, physics, or engineering?

The length of a graduate program can vary, but typically it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral degree. The exact length will depend on the specific program and the student's course load.

3. What types of career opportunities are available for graduates of these programs?

Graduates of graduate programs in applied math, physics, or engineering have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in research and development, academia, government agencies, and various industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology.

4. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree in these fields?

Many graduate programs offer part-time or online options, allowing students to work while pursuing their degree. However, the workload can be intense and may require students to balance their time effectively. It is important to check with the specific program for their policies on working while studying.

5. Are there any financial aid or scholarship options available for graduate students in these fields?

Many universities offer financial aid and scholarship options for graduate students in applied math, physics, or engineering. These can include teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and grants. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.