Defining an inner product on C[-1,1]

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of an inner product on the vector space of all continuous functions on the interval [-1,1]. The proposed inner product is <f(x),g(x)> = ∫(-1,1) x2f(x)g(x)dx and the participants have shown its properties of symmetry, linearity, and positivity. The remaining task is to show that <f,f> ≥ 0 for any continuous function f(x) on [-1,1] and that <f,f> = 0 only if f(x) = 0. The attempt at a solution considers the integral of (xf(x))^2 but is unsure how to ensure that the integrand is even and positive.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Consider the vector space of all continuous functions on the interval C[-1,1]. That is V = C[-1,1]
show that <f(x),g(x)> = ∫(-1,1) x2f(x)g(x)dx defines an inner product on C[-1,1].
I have shown <f,g> = <g,f>, <kf,g> = k<f,g>, <f+g,h> = <f,h> + <g,h> and I am trying to show that given any continuous function over [-1,1] that <f,f> ≥ 0 and <f,f> = 0 iff f(x) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

<f,f> = ∫(-1,1)x2[f(x)]2dx = ∫(-1,1)[xf(x)]2dx. I am stuck here, this f(x) could be anything that is continuous on [-1,1] over a symmetric interval and x2 is an even function while f(x)2 could be even or odd. Maybe I can say something about f(x)2 being even or odd, if x2f2(x) is odd then integrating it over a symmetric interval will be zero but if x2f2(x) is even then integrating it over a symmetric interval will just be twice the value of ∫[0,1](xf(x))2. I'm not sure how to proceed because I feel I need to force the integrand to be an even function and even then how would I know that the value of the integral is positive? Any help to push me in the right direction would be much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:

Homework Statement

Consider the vector space of all continuous functions on the interval C[-1,1]. That is V = C[-1,1]
show that <f(x),g(x)> = ∫(-1,1) x2f(x)g(x)dx defines an inner product on C[-1,1].
I have shown <f,g> = <g,f>, <kf,g> = k<f,g>, <f+g,h> = <f,h> + <g,h> and I am trying to show that given any continuous function over [-1,1] that <f,f> ≥ 0 and <f,f> = 0 iff f(x) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

<f,f> = ∫(-1,1)x2[f(x)]2dx = ∫(-1,1)[xf(x)]2dx. I am stuck here, this f(x) could be anything that is continuous on [-1,1] over a symmetric interval and x2 is an even function while f(x)2 could be even or odd. Maybe I can say something about f(x)2 being even or odd, if x2f2(x) is odd then integrating it over a symmetric interval will be zero but if x2f2(x) is even then integrating it over a symmetric interval will just be twice the value of ∫[0,1](xf(x))2. I'm not sure how to proceed because I feel I need to force the integrand to be an even function and even then how would I know that the value of the integral is positive? Any help to push me in the right direction would be much appreciated, thank you.

Can the function ##(x f(x))^2## ever be ##< 0## anywhwere in ##(-1,1)##? Can you think of a real number whose square is negative?

Likes pasmith

What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is used to measure the angle between two vectors and their length, and is an essential concept in linear algebra and functional analysis.

Why is defining an inner product on C[-1,1] important?

C[-1,1] is the set of all continuous functions on the interval [-1,1]. Defining an inner product on this set is important because it allows us to apply concepts and techniques from linear algebra to functions. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are the properties of an inner product?

An inner product must satisfy the following properties: linearity in the first argument, conjugate symmetry, and positive-definiteness. Linearity means that the inner product of a linear combination of two vectors is the same as the linear combination of their inner products. Conjugate symmetry means that the inner product of two vectors is equal to the complex conjugate of the inner product of the same two vectors in reverse order. Positive-definiteness means that the inner product of a vector with itself is always positive, except when the vector is the zero vector.

How do you define an inner product on C[-1,1]?

An inner product on C[-1,1] can be defined in various ways, but one common definition is:

(f,g) = ∫1-1 f(x)g(x) dx

where f(x) and g(x) are functions in C[-1,1]. This definition satisfies all the properties of an inner product.

Can an inner product be defined on any set of vectors?

No, an inner product can only be defined on vector spaces. A vector space is a set of vectors that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. C[-1,1] is a vector space because continuous functions can be added and multiplied by scalars to produce another continuous function.