Determine the truth of the following statements

In summary, the process for determining the truth of a statement involves gathering evidence, conducting experiments or studies, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results, also known as the scientific method. Scientists ensure objectivity by following strict protocols and procedures, using reliable and unbiased sources, and remaining open to new evidence. It is important for scientists to determine the truth of a statement in order to gain accurate and reliable knowledge about the natural world, which can then be used to make informed decisions and further advance scientific understanding. In science, it is rare for a statement to be completely true or false, as most statements are supported by varying degrees of evidence. The truth of a statement can change over time as new evidence is discovered and scientific understanding evolves,
diredragon

Homework Statement

##f(x) =
\begin{cases}
-\frac{1}{1+x^2}, & x \in (-\infty,1) \\
x, & x \in [1,5]\setminus {3} \\
100, & x=3 \\
\log_{1/2} {(x-5)} , & x \in (5, +\infty)
\end{cases}##
For a given function determine the truth of the folowing statements and give a brief explanation:
a) Function ##F(x)=\arctan {1/x}## is one integral solution of the funtion ##f(x)## on an interval of ##(-1,1)##
b) Function f is integrable on ##[-3,5]##
c) Function f is integrable on ##[4,10]##
d) ##\int_{-1}^{1} \tan x f(x) \, dx=0##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
a) Function ##F(x)=\arctan {1/x}## is one integral solution of the funtion ##f(x)## on an interval of ##(-1,1)##
False. The solution of this integral on a provided interval is ##F(x)=-\arctan x + c##
b) Function f is integrable on ##[-3,5]##
Yes. It has 3 points of break and is continuous on intervals in between so yes. Not sure about this one so i would be grateful for your reply
c) Function f is integrable on ##[4,10]##
Yes. The same reasoning as above.
d) ##\int_{-1}^{1} \tan x f(x) \, dx=0##
Yes, the function is odd.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a), it would be safer to consider the derivative of F. Integration can lead to multiple results that look different but are all valid solutions.

For c), consider what the function does as it tends to 5 from above.

I agree on d).

haruspex said:
For a), it would be safer to consider the derivative of F. Integration can lead to multiple results that look different but are all valid solutions.

For c), consider what the function does as it tends to 5 from above.

I agree on d).

Hmm.. It seems that the possible solutions to the first one involve three functions that look different but differ only by a constant. ##-\arctan x+c##, ##\cot^{-1} x+c## and ##-\arctan(1/x)+c## so it is tru then.
Ooh, so for the part c) you wanted me to consider what happens to the function as x approaches 5 and i should have spotted that on the left as x approaches 5 and goes near it, my function goes from ##-\infty##. So the problem part c) has that part b) doesn't have is that the function on its points of break can be integrated as it doesn't go to infinity on those points? Did i get this right?

diredragon said:
as x approaches 5 and goes near it, my function goes from −∞
Right. Of course, it might still be integrable, like ∫011/√x, so there is more work to do.
diredragon said:
part b) doesn't have is that the function on its points of break can be integrated as it doesn't go to infinity on those points?
Yes, so the justification you gave for b) was incomplete.

1. What is the process for determining the truth of a statement?

The process for determining the truth of a statement involves gathering evidence, conducting experiments or studies, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results. This process is known as the scientific method.

2. How do scientists ensure objectivity when determining the truth of a statement?

Scientists ensure objectivity by following a strict set of protocols and procedures, using reliable and unbiased sources, and replicating experiments to ensure consistent results. They also remain open to new evidence and revise their conclusions if necessary.

3. Why is it important for scientists to determine the truth of a statement?

Determining the truth of a statement is important for scientists because it allows for accurate and reliable knowledge to be gained about the natural world. This knowledge can then be used to make informed decisions and further advance scientific understanding.

4. Is it possible for a statement to be completely true or false?

In science, it is rare for a statement to be completely true or completely false. Most statements are supported by evidence to varying degrees of certainty. It is important for scientists to continually evaluate and update their understanding of a statement based on new evidence.

5. How can the truth of a statement change over time?

The truth of a statement can change over time as new evidence is discovered, technologies improve, and scientific understanding evolves. This is why it is important for scientists to continually question and test existing theories and hypotheses.