Defining Functions as Sums of Series

In summary, the lecture slides state that many functions in mathematical physics and chemistry, like Bessel functions, are defined as sums of series. This is different from basic functions that can also be written as sums of series. Bessel functions cannot be expressed solely in terms of elementary functions, but can be written as an infinite sum or integral of elementary functions. This distinction highlights the fact that not all functions can be represented as a straightforward combination of elementary functions. The purpose of the notes may have been to emphasize that sum functions can only be written as a sum, while most functions are not limited in this way.
Drakkith
Mentor
My Calculus 2 teacher's lecture slides say:

Many of the functions that arise in mathematical physics and chemistry, such as Bessel functions, are defined as sums of series.

I was just wondering how this was different from the basic functions that we've already worked with. Are they not defined as sums of series as well? If not, can they be?

Likes Fervent Freyja
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write many (most?) functions as an infinite sum, i.e. a Taylor series. I'm not sure entirely what the distinction is, but Bessel functions, for instance, cannot be written in terms of only elementary functions. They can be written as infinite sums or as integrals of elementary functions, but not with a straightforward combination of elementary functions. I suppose this is what differentiates a function that is "defined" as an infinite sum versus one that can simply be written as an infinite sum.

Of course, I'd like to hear what others say about this.

To me, though, I imagine the purpose of the notes was to express that sum functions can only be written as a sum, as opposed to dealing with the fact that most functions can be written as a sum.

Likes Fervent Freyja
I also think like @axmls . What they probably try to convey is that functions like the Bessel functions are not elementary functions.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Drakkith said:
Many of the functions that arise in mathematical physics and chemistry, such as Bessel functions, are defined as sums of series.
Just to clarify, a function as mentioned in the quote is a sum with an infinite number of terms; i.e., an infinite series.

As written, the sentence might be interpreted to say that such a function could be a sum of series, while a series is already an infinite sum.

Likes Fervent Freyja and Drakkith
Alright. Thanks for the comments all!

1. What is the definition of a function as a sum of series?

A function as a sum of series is a mathematical representation of a function by expressing it as the sum of an infinite or finite number of terms in a specific pattern. This pattern can be described using mathematical operations, such as addition or multiplication, and can also involve variables and constants.

2. How is a function as a sum of series different from a regular function?

A regular function is typically expressed as a single equation or formula, while a function as a sum of series involves an infinite or finite number of terms. This allows for more complex and precise representations of functions, as well as the ability to manipulate and analyze them using mathematical tools like series convergence tests.

3. What is a power series and how is it related to a function as a sum of series?

A power series is a specific type of function as a sum of series in which the terms are polynomial functions of a variable raised to increasing powers. A function as a sum of series can be represented as a power series if it meets certain criteria, such as having a finite radius of convergence.

4. What are some real-world applications of defining functions as sums of series?

Defining functions as sums of series is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, Taylor series are used to approximate the behavior of physical systems, while Fourier series are used in signal processing and image analysis. In economics, power series are used to model economic growth and inflation.

5. What are some common techniques for finding the sum of a series?

Some common techniques for finding the sum of a series include using geometric or arithmetic series formulas, using convergence tests, such as the ratio or root test, and using algebraic manipulation to rewrite the series into a more manageable form. Another useful tool is the use of partial sums, which involve finding the sum of a finite number of terms of a series and then taking the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.