Definite integral as Riemann sums

In summary: This completes the analysis. In summary, the student is trying to find the limit of a sum of infinite radicals, but is having trouble because of an error in their work. They are able to find a simpler approximation to the sum and are now able to continue on their homework.
terryds

Homework Statement

Determine ##\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{x}dx## using left riemann sums

Homework Equations

##\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}(\frac{b-a}{n})f(x_i)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\frac{b-a}{n}=\frac{2-0}{n}=\frac{2}{n}##
##\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{x}dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2}{n}(0+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{n}+\frac{\sqrt{4}}{n}+...) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2}{n} \frac{\sqrt{2}}{n}(\sqrt{0} + \sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+...) ##

I'm stuck now. Please help. I don't know how to get the sums of the infinite radical series

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}(\frac{b-a}{n})f(x_i)##

[/B]
##\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{x}dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2}{n}(0+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{n}+\frac{\sqrt{4}}{n}+...) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2}{n} \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\color{red}n}(\sqrt{0} + \sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+...) ##

I'm stuck now. Please help. I don't know how to get the sums of the infinite radical series

I think you may want a square root on that ##n## I colored red. But to answer your question, that is not a trivial sum to calculate, and I wouldn't expect to see this problem in a typical calculus exercise set. See, for example,
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1241864/sum-of-square-roots-formula

Likes terryds
terryds said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{x}dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2}{n}(0+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{n}+\frac{\sqrt{4}}{n}+...) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2}{n} \frac{\sqrt{2}}{n}(\sqrt{0} + \sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+...) ##
The sums in the last two expressions above do not have an infinite number of terms. What's the last term in each sum?
terryds said:

Likes terryds
Mark44 said:
The sums in the last two expressions above do not have an infinite number of terms. What's the last term in each sum?
LCKurtz said:
I think you may want a square root on that ##n## I colored red. But to answer your question, that is not a trivial sum to calculate, and I wouldn't expect to see this problem in a typical calculus exercise set. See, for example,
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1241864/sum-of-square-roots-formula

##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty }\frac{2}{n}\sqrt{\frac{2}{n}}(\sqrt{0} + \sqrt{1} + \sqrt{2} + ... + \sqrt{\frac{2}{n}}(n-1)))##

Alright, I've fixed my mistakes. And, I'm still confused how to get the sum of that series

terryds said:
##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty }\frac{2}{n}\sqrt{\frac{2}{n}}(\sqrt{0} + \sqrt{1} + \sqrt{2} + ... + \sqrt{\frac{2}{n}}(n-1)))##

Alright, I've fixed my mistakes. And, I'm still confused how to get the sum of that series

You should go back and read post #2, which explains why you probably cannot sum the series, no matter how hard you try. Of course, you may be able to find good approximations to the sum, but that is not the same as finding an exact value.

Likes terryds
Doing the sum is overkill for finding the limit.
I think you have an error I think you should have
$$\int_0^2 \! \sqrt{n} \, \mathrm{d}x=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} {\left( \frac{n}{2} \right)}^{-3/2}\sum_{i=1}^n \sqrt{n}$$
Instead of finding the sum we will make a few observations that suffice
we can replace the sum in the limit by a simple expression
$$\sum_{i=1}^n \sqrt{n}\sim {C} {\sqrt{n}}^3$$
The exponent is the only one that allows the limit to converge to a nonzero value
we find C by computing the limit
$$C=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{{\sqrt{n}}}{{\sqrt{n+1}}^3-{\sqrt{n}}^3}$$
because we must have
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n+1} \sqrt{n}-\sum_{i=1}^n \sqrt{n}\sim {\sqrt{n}}$$

1. What is a definite integral as Riemann sums?

A definite integral as Riemann sums is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and summing their areas. It is denoted by ∫f(x)dx and has a lower limit and an upper limit, which determine the range of the function to be integrated.

2. What is the purpose of using Riemann sums to calculate definite integrals?

The purpose of using Riemann sums is to approximate the area under a curve, which can be difficult to calculate using traditional methods. By dividing the region into smaller rectangles, we can get a more accurate estimation of the area and make the integral easier to solve.

3. How is the accuracy of Riemann sums improved?

The accuracy of Riemann sums can be improved by increasing the number of rectangles used in the approximation. The more rectangles we use, the closer our approximation will be to the actual area under the curve.

4. What is the relationship between Riemann sums and the definite integral?

Riemann sums are used to approximate the area under a curve, while the definite integral represents the exact value of the area. As the number of rectangles used in the Riemann sum increases, the approximation will become closer to the actual value of the definite integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using Riemann sums?

One limitation of Riemann sums is that they can only approximate the area under a curve, not calculate it exactly. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of rectangles used, which can be time-consuming to calculate for complex functions.