Solving this definite integral using integration by parts

In summary, the conversation focused on the benefits of exercise and how it can improve overall health and well-being. The speakers discussed the importance of finding a form of exercise that one enjoys and incorporating it into daily routine, as well as the potential risks of over-exercising. They also mentioned the role of diet in maintaining a healthy lifestyle and how exercise can help with weight management. Overall, the conversation emphasized the positive impact of exercise on both physical and mental health.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Integration
1684334479139.png

Using integration by parts:
$$I_n=\left. x(1+x^2)^{-n} \right|_0^1+\int_0^{1} 2nx^2(1+x^2)^{-(n+1)}dx$$
$$I_n=2^{-n} + 2n \int_0^{1} x^2(1+x^2)^{-(n+1)}dx$$
Then how to continue?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My first approach would be work out what In+1 is and see how they relate.

Their hint of multiplying by 1 tells me that I might need to represent 1 as a fraction where numerator = denominator.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Hint: ##x^2 = (x^2+1) - 1##.

Likes vanhees71 and songoku
I understand

Thank you very much scottdave and vela

Likes WWGD and berkeman

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to solve definite integrals that involve products of functions. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using a specific formula to solve for the final answer.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is most commonly used when the integral involves a product of two functions, and one of the functions can be easily differentiated while the other can be easily integrated. This method can also be used when other methods, such as substitution, are not applicable.

3. How do I know which function to differentiate and which to integrate?

When using integration by parts, it is important to choose the function to differentiate based on the LIATE rule, which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that falls higher on this list should be differentiated, while the other should be integrated.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This means that the integral of a product of functions u and v is equal to the product of u and the integral of v, minus the integral of the product of v and the derivative of u.

5. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. However, when solving definite integrals, it is important to evaluate the integral limits and substitute them into the final answer.