Definite integral from 0 to 1 of : ln(x)ln(1-x)dx

In summary, several methods were attempted to solve the definite integral from 0 to 1 of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx, including using traditional methods and a computer. Ultimately, the integral was evaluated using integration by parts and the Riemann zeta function, with the final result being 2-\pi^2/6. Other related integrals were also discussed, such as the Basel problem and the Dirichlet's eta function.
Gagle The Terrible
I would really like to post the work I did, but it is gibberish !
I don't know how to tackle this integral :
definite integral from 0 to 1 of : ln(x)ln(1-x)dx

The "traditionnal" methods don't work but I assure you that I have tried much more !

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
That integral is, on cursorary examination, sort of nasty

http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=calculus&s2=integrate&s3=advanced told me that

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\log x\log (1-x) \, dx=2-\frac{\pi ^2}{6}[/tex]

so I expect some quick manipulation to produce the Basel problem (proving that [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2}=\frac{\pi ^2}{6}[/itex],) a computer also told me that

[tex]\int\log x\log (1-x) \, dx = (x\log x-x)\log (1-x)-x\log x+2x+\mbox{Li}_2 (x)+\log (-1+x)[/tex]

where [tex]\mbox{Li}_2 (x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{x^k}{k^2}[/tex] is the dilogarithm. The dilog gets us to the Basel problem since [tex]\mbox{Li}_2 (1)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex] and hey, there's even a handy formula for the dilog, namely

[tex]\mbox{Li}_2 (t)=-\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\log (1-x)}{x}dx[/tex]

and I'd conjecture that you can pull this off with integration by parts...

-Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
We have
[tex]I = \int_0^1 \ln x \ln (1-x) dx = \lim_{a\rightarrow 1} \int_0^a \ln x \ln (1-x) dx[/tex].

Integrating by part

[tex]I= \lim_{a \rightarrow 1}( - \ln (1-a) + \int_0^a \frac{x \ln x}{1-x} - \int_0^a \frac{x}{1-x})[/tex].

By performing such a limit we have

[tex]I= 2 + \int_0^1 \frac{\ln x}{1-x} dx [/tex].

Now from the substitution [itex]x = e^{-u}[/itex] and by remembering the integral expression for the [itex]\zeta[/itex] function:

[tex]\zeta(s)= \frac{1}{\Gamma (s)} \int_0^\infty \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^x -1 } d x[/tex]

we get

[tex]I= 2 - \zeta (2) = 2 - \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex].

Last edited:
in [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\log x\log (1-x) \, dx[/tex] do integration by parts with [tex]u=\log x[/tex] so that [tex]du=\frac{dx}{x}[/tex] and [tex]dv=\log (1-x) dx[/tex] so that [tex]v=(1-x)\left( 1-\log (1-x)\right) [/tex] to get

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\log x\log (1-x) \, dx = \left[ (1-x)\log x\left( 1-\log (1-x)\right) \right]_{x=0}^{1}- \int_{0}^{1}(1-x)\left( 1-\log (1-x)\right)\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]=\left[ (1-x)\log x\left( 1-\log (1-x)\right) \right]_{x=0}^{1}- \int_{0}^{1}\left[ \frac{1}{x}-1-\frac{\log (1-x)}{x}+\log (1-x) \right] \, dx[/tex]
[tex]=\left[ (1-x)\log x\left( 1-\log (1-x)\right) -\log x +x -(1-x)\left( 1-\log (1-x)\right) \right]_{x=0}^{1}-\mbox{Li}_2 (1)[/tex]

now it is a matter of taking limits at x=0 and at x=1 and putting in the value [tex]\mbox{Li}_2(1)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

[tex] I=\lim_{b\rightarrow 1,a\rightarrow 0}\int_{a}^{b}\ln x\ln \left( 1-x\right) dx=...?[/tex]

One knows that

[tex] \ln \left( 1-x\right) =-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty }\frac{x^{k}}{k}.[/tex]

for x smaller than 1. So

[tex]I=\lim_{b\rightarrow 1,a\rightarrow 0}\int_{b}^{a}\ln x\left( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty }\frac{x^{k}}{k}\right) dx=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{k}\left(\lim_{b\rightarrow 1,a\rightarrow 0}\int_{b}^{a}x^{k}\ln xdx\right) =...=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{k\left( k+1\right) ^{2}}. [/tex]

To evaluate the last sum, use that

[tex] 1=k+1-k [/tex]

and the definition of the Riemann zeta function. U'll easily get [itex] 2-\zeta(2) [/itex] you were supposed to get.

Daniel.

P.S. Don't worry about pulling sum out of the integral sign and passing sum symbol over the limit sign. It usually works.

Last edited:
To get a better grip of what i did, try to show that

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x}{e^{x}+1} \ dx =\eta(2) =\frac{\pi^{2}}{12}[/tex]

, where \eta is Dirichlet's eta function.

Use the integral above to compute the integrals on page 154 from Ch.Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics", 7-th edition.

Daniel.

Last edited:

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is denoted by ∫(integral symbol) and is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. How is the definite integral calculated?

The definite integral is calculated using a process called integration, which involves breaking down a complex function into smaller, simpler parts and summing them up using specific rules and formulas. In this case, the integral of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx from 0 to 1 would be calculated using the trapezoidal rule or other numerical methods.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration (0 and 1) in this integral?

The limits of integration, 0 and 1, determine the specific interval over which the definite integral is being calculated. In this case, the area under the curve of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx is being calculated from x=0 to x=1, which represents the interval between these two points on the graph.

4. Can the definite integral of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx be solved analytically?

No, the definite integral of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx cannot be solved analytically, as it does not have a closed-form solution. This means that it cannot be expressed using a finite number of elementary functions, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions.

5. What is the practical application of calculating the definite integral of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx?

The definite integral of ln(x)ln(1-x)dx has many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in real-world scenarios. For example, it can be used to calculate the total profit or loss of a company over a specific time period or the amount of medicine needed to treat a patient over a certain time frame.