1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite vs. indefinite integrals for ei and erf

1. May 13, 2009 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From a paper I've been reading:
    I wanted to know how to interpret the notation. What does it mean to take the derivative of u when it is a function argument? How do I take the integral wrt x of a seemingly-constant expression and not end up with x in the answer? Generally, how are these functions (typically defined with definite integrals) defined with indefinite integrals? (Or is this just a trick of notation?)

I'd be happy to post more of the paper if it would help. I'm actually recopying it at the moment, so it wouldn't be too hard.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi CRGreathouse! :smile:

Isn't u' just du/dx, where erf is a function of u, and u is a function of x?

So eg if u(x) = ix, then u' = i and erf(u) = ∫ie-x2dx

4. May 14, 2009 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But u isn't a function! It's just the argument of the function.

5. May 14, 2009 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who says it's not a function? Assume it is, and apply the freshman calculus substitution rule. Using informal notation, [itex]u'dx = du[/itex] and thus

[tex]\int \frac{u(x)'}{u(x)}e^{u(x)}\,dx = \int \frac{e^{u(x)}}{u(x)} u'(x)dx = \int \frac{e^u}{u} du = Ei(u)[/tex]

The last is a bit of abuse of notation as the exponential integral is a definite integral, not an indefinite integral.

You've been doing math so long you forgot the basics!

6. May 14, 2009 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, DH. Between the bound-unbound abuse of notation (u as argument and running variable) and the indef/def abuse of notation I wasn't sure how to interpret it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook