Sequences - Definition of convergence

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of convergence for a given sequence using l'Hopital's Rule. The result is L = -5 and the definition of convergence states that for every positive number ε, there must be an integer N where for all n > N, | an - L | < ε. To check if L = -5 is true, the value of ε can be any positive number and an N must be found. A simple example is given to demonstrate this concept.
tolove
Alright, I need some help with this.

an = [itex]\frac{1 - 5n^{4}}{n^{4} + 8n^{3}}[/itex]

To find the limit of convergence, use l'Hopital's Rule. The result will come out to

L = -5

From my book,
"The sequence {an} converges to the number L if for every positive number ε there corresponds an integer N such that for all n,
n > N → | an - L | < ε"

So, to check that L = -5 is true, substitute in? How do I show that L = -5 using this definition?

| an - L | < ε

| [itex]\frac{1 - 5n^{4}}{n^{4} + 8n^{3}}[/itex] - (-5) | < ε

Let n = 1, ε = 1

| [itex]\frac{1 - 5}{1 + 8}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{45}{9}[/itex]) | < ε = 1

[itex]\frac{41}{9}[/itex] < ε = 1, which is not true

Thank you for your time! This definition is very confusing to me for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not how the definition works. You have to take an arbitrary ##\epsilon > 0## and show that there exists an ##N \in \mathbb{N}## (which may or may not depend on ##\epsilon##) such that for all ##n> N## we have that ##\left | \frac{1 - 5n^{4}}{n^{4} + 8n^{3}} + 5 \right | < \epsilon##.

tolove said:
Alright, I need some help with this.

an = [itex]\frac{1 - 5n^{4}}{n^{4} + 8n^{3}}[/itex]

To find the limit of convergence, use l'Hopital's Rule. The result will come out to

L = -5

From my book,
"The sequence {an} converges to the number L if for every positive number ε there corresponds an integer N such that for all n,
n > N → | an - L | < ε"

So, to check that L = -5 is true, substitute in? How do I show that L = -5 using this definition?

| an - L | < ε

| [itex]\frac{1 - 5n^{4}}{n^{4} + 8n^{3}}[/itex] - (-5) | < ε

Let n = 1, ε = 1

| [itex]\frac{1 - 5}{1 + 8}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{45}{9}[/itex]) | < ε = 1

[itex]\frac{41}{9}[/itex] < ε = 1, which is not true

Thank you for your time! This definition is very confusing to me for some reason.

The basic idea is that for there is an N (large enough) so that the ε test will hold for all n > N.

Ohhh, so my e can be any positive number. For convergence, I must find an N.

thank you!

It might help to see a trivial example first. Consider the sequence given by ##a_n = \frac{1}{n}## and let ##\epsilon > 0##. Intuitively we can see that this converges to ##L = 0## but let's show that this is indeed the case. There exists an ##N\in \mathbb{N}## such that ##\epsilon N > 1## i.e. ##\frac{1}{N} < \epsilon##. Thus we have that ##\left | \frac{1}{n} \right | < \epsilon## for all ##n\geq N## meaning ##a_n\rightarrow 0##, as we would expect.

1. What is the definition of convergence for a sequence?

The definition of convergence for a sequence is that as the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a single fixed value, the sequence is said to converge to that value.

2. How do you know if a sequence is convergent?

A sequence is convergent if its terms approach a finite limit as the index approaches infinity. This means that as the index gets larger and larger, the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a single fixed value as the index increases, while a divergent sequence does not have a limit and its terms do not approach a specific value as the index increases.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If the terms of a sequence approach more than one fixed value as the index increases, then the sequence is considered to be divergent.

5. How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the terms of the sequence as the index increases. If the terms get closer and closer to a single fixed value, then the sequence is convergent. If the terms do not approach a specific value, then the sequence is divergent.